brussel sprouts

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

when do i start to remove the leaves on my brussel sprout plants? how many do i leave on top?
thanks
debi z

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

debi z....I usually wait till you see the "sprouts" forming, then start removing them from the bottom. Just go up to the point where there are sprouts showing. (I'm jealous, homegrown Brussels sprouts are the best!)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

oh, i can't wait to have them. mmmmmm mmmm good. last year i grew them and i didn't know to take off the leaves. needless to say, by the time i asked on dave's why they were not forming and growing it was too late. :( so i try again this year for those luscious little cabbages.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

yep, yummy for sure! I grew up not liking them untill I grew my own. Those plants are HONGRY feeders tho...you might wanna side-dress them about every other week, especially when you see sprouts beginning to form is a good time also. Good luck! Have fun!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

horeshoe,
what is side-dressing? do tell.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

that just means to apply a dose of plant food/fertilizer. Usually people put the fertilizer in the ground either when setting out your individual plants or by broadcasting it on the ground and then turning it under before planting. Once the plants reach a certain stage of growth (usually when the flowers, fruit, or in your case, the sprouts) you apply some more food for the plant to help it have enuff energy for full production. The term side-dressing came about becuz you apply the food at the sides of the plants, then water it in.
You can also use a fish emulsion spray on your Brussels sprout plants. I'd spray the foliage with it every two weeks if you go that route.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i have been using a water soluble generic miracle grow product for the veggies. seems to be working well. i do have a tomatoe fertilizer i should "side dress" them with. :) so much to learn.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.