Potato "fruit"????

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I thought I was seeing things this morning when I glanced over at my potato plants, and saw little tomato-like fruits hanging from them.

The second thought was a volunteer 'mater must have been hiding among its cousins.

But close examination revealed indeed, it is part of the potato plant. In fact there are several plants with fruit on them...what's the deal?

Thumbnail by Terry

Neat vols! You're going to get seedpods from your potatoes.

Save the seed and sow them, and see what you get! They won't look anything like the parent, but you may get something cool out of it.

dave

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

cool i've never seen anything like that. lol. will you get potatoes from the seed or just a plant?

farmgirl, I've never seen these either - and I spent enough time on a farm that I *should* have seen 'em before now, I suppose.

I don't think you get potatoes; as far as I know the only way to get potatoes is from...potatoes :)

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

You'll get potatoes alright g_v, but as Dave says, they'll probably be very different from the parents. It's only like growing from seed rather than a root cutting LOL

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Well, isn't that just about the coolest thing. I've never seen that before either and I'm a farmer girl for 58 years.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Mine get seed pods which form after you see the blooms. I remember a few years ago reading about potatoes from seed, and it seems that someone (catalog?) was going to sell the seeds. The first year I noticed them I cut one open, they resemble little tomatoes but I wasn't sure if they would be safe to eat so I threw it away. Maybe we should try planting some and see what we get.

Well, I'm defnitely up for the challenge - I wonder if they need to be fermented a la tomato seeds? And when do you plant them - fall, winter, spring?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.