Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

okay, tricked you sorry. it's an ornamental corn, but I figure you guys know everything except that I posted this somewhere else:)
okay, not a farmer here, so when I describe my corn, please don't laugh.
I'm growing Zea mays quadracolor and it's about 4' tall. Now putting out long 'strings' out the top and there are several places down the stalk where i see tassels. Are these going to be the ears? will this plant stop growing once the ears are ready? I grew it in my tropical bed and hope to grow it all summer. is that possible??

Thumbnail by tiG
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The top is the tassel and the little things will be the ears.If it were regular corn,when this happens it will almost be at it's full size. Some corns continue to grow,but I'm not aware as to what species those are.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

will the plant stay nice looking? do I need to remove the ears to keep it that way?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It should stay nice all season.Even if you remove the ears,it will eventually turn brown like the corn in our gardens. I'm thinking about the fields of commercial corn(or what genetically altered mutant they are passing off as corn these days)It stays green all summer and only dries up just before harvest in late fall.

Personally,I'd let the ears remain until they are dry and then you'll have seeds to share(hint hint)I doubt that it will make any difference as to whethere the plant stays green.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

very good, and I do want seeds to share. you can bet you'll get some unless i mess up:)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh tiG! Can I be on your seed list for this?? I traded for seeds of these a few years ago, started them, planted them right out in the front bed and guess what? The trader messed up and had sent me seed for some kind of indian corn. LOL Let's just say I had some really interesting foliage plants. People kept asking if that was corn (with a confused look) in my flower bed. ROTF

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

yes, will put you down:)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gosh, that is pretty. I'd like to get on the list for a few seeds too. Thanks tiG.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

sure thing. I must admit, I will grow these next year, but not the way I have them planted now. I put them near the outside of my tropical bed, but they outgrew everything so fast. I will put them in a block or grouping to show off and I think it will make a much better show. the ears are small when ripe, but they are really growing well. I have 3 ears on just one stalk!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Groupings of this could take the place of some of the cannas that I might not like. Of course, I don't think there is a canna that I don't like. Will just have to make room for one grouping of this corn. Cool stuff.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.