has anyone used osmokote (Osmocote) fertilizer

Mesick, MI(Zone 5a)

has anyone had any experience using osmokote fertilizer i recently purchased a bag it is timed released and supposed to need only one application for the entire growing season
i used it on the tomatoes and squash it costs 72 dollars a bag here
i hope to hear from someone who has used it in the past we sprinkled it on the garden then rototilled it in the ground we were told to use this and you can grow in any kind of soil and my soil is very poor it needs all the help it can get

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

birdlady, I use the slow-release fertilizers for my container flowers; I have used them on my vegetables in the past, but I wouldn't broadcast spread it and till it in, as you've described. (One of the big drawbacks being the price!) Instead, I'd place a little in each planting hole, mix it in well, then plant my seedling. Are you using the fertilizer that is specified for vegetables?

I don't recall the NPK differences between the Osmocote for flowers vs. the one for veggies, but in general, a fertilizer for flowers will have too much nitrogen for peppers and tomatoes (you'll have pretty, leafy plants, but not much fruit.)

And to be honest, I don't think a slow release fertilizer will improve your soil - only the regular addition of organic matter (e.g., leaves, vegetation, compost, manure, cover crops, etc.) will actually improve the soil. That's more of a long-term process, and it's never too late or too early to start :)

This message was edited Wednesday, Jun 5th 8:19 AM

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I've used it too, but, like go_vols, mainly for container plants. I ve also used it in the hole before planting shrubs and roses. It's given good results used like that.

Blum, TX(Zone 8a)

I use it on my container plants as well, and sometimes around special blooming plants. (annuals). There certainly is a difference in the plants I use it on. I use it in early spring and late summer. I use 10 lbs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.