Should I dead-head the old ones?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

The bloom of flowers which was in full colour when I bought are now old, wilted and drying up. The leaves are healthy. Should it be left alone or should it be dead-headed like other plants? New buds are forming in another branch.

I have done it following a suggestion in one of the posts, anyway.

This message was edited Tuesday, Jun 11th 7:21 AM

New Albany, MS(Zone 7a)

You should be able to deadhead it. It only blooms on new growth. Just don't cut any of the stem off. Only cut the old bloom. Or just leave it on there for an interesting look during winter.

This message was edited Monday, Jun 17th 8:26 AM

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Next time, I wont, for an interesting look. I like the brown dried colour as well. I have dead-headed and kept it aside and it has turned brown.

San Francisco, CA

I would say cut off the dead flowers because the plant will be healther and get more light to the lower leaves if you do so. Some I have seen have so many dead flowers that much sun light to the leaves underneath is blocked.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thank you Bug-girl. That seems a good point.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Another thing to remember is that old blooms protect the new buds from late frosts in the spring. But I don't suppose you need worry about that in India Dinu - or do you!! How's the cricket??

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Yes, that's right Louisa, I needn't worry about frosts. The winters here are pleasant with a minimum of 14 or 15. Cricket is going on. The league is half way through. There are about 3 or 4 tours ahead in the next four months.

San Francisco, CA

I find that in general removing the dead flowers conserves the engery that the plant needs to maintain them. I do not find the dead ones to be attractive. I see so many hydrangeas like that around here, that it just looks like the gardener did not care to remove them. Many people buy houses with large hydrangeas in front of them. They know nothing about gardening and never think to remove them. The hydrangeas are well established and will survive any way, but the tended hydrageas look crisper and fresher over all. I can tell which people tend their plants and which do not. The same goes for dead heading roses. You encourage more blooms in the future if you dead head.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sounds as though you are thoroughly enjoying your season Dinu. I can see it now, the green grass and those white, crisp shirts and trousers. I miss those days!! Bug girl I can only speak for the practices of my home land and I agree with you in many aspects. I actually leave the top most dry blooms on my hydrangeas and also cut some for my indoor dry arrangements. Deadheading is always a must for most plants of course but there are exceptions sometimes. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.