desert seeds germination

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

my bf's mother has just brought me back some seeds from her hols in Arizona and Nevada. can anyone tell me the best ways to germinate them and where to grow them as the instructions are a bit brief.

the first is just a mixture called 'desert gatherings' including: Brittlebrush, Desert Marigold, Mexican Poppy, Chuparosa, Fairy Duster, Owls Clover, Desert Lupine, Prickly Poppy, and Penstemon.

the second is some seeds called 'Indian Paintbrush' (Castilleja sp.)

and the last is 'Desert Globemallow' (Sphaeralcea ambigua).

Thanks!

Thumbnail by Lilith
Lancaster, CA

Hi Lilith,

I don't have actual experience to share but a couple of suggestions may do. The two things that desert seeds would all have in common would be a fairly cold winter for 4-12 weeks depending on elevation (as in snow on the ground and staying there a few days) and monsoon type rains in spring.

I suggest a well drained moist potting mix with the seeds sown on the soil surface then covered barely with sand. The whole business refrigerated for 2 months or so to break possible dormancy then watered well and left in a warm spot.

Don't use all your seeds the first time around LOL.
Chris

thanks Chris, should i start them this summer or wait until autumn do you think?

Lancaster, CA

I spose it would depend what your winters would be like. Several desert perennials don't flower the first year. You might try starting some by the end of summer to overwinter for next years blooms. I didn't recognize many of the names you listed. Penstemon is a perennial as (I think) lupine but the poppies are probably annuals. There is a wild growing plant that looks very similar to your globemallow pic. The plant I've seen is an annual and a fast grower.

Here's a suggestion. Try reposting your question in the xeriscape forum. There's a gal there (Michele I think) who's more knowledgeable on general desert plants than I.

Hope that helps a little
Chris

thanks Chris, good idea! i never thought of that

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.