preg onion pic

you left either the subject or the body empty. Please
make sure to fill out both fields.
hmmm did not know what to put here i guess this works

Thumbnail by troy
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Troy, I read on the other thread that you can grow these as a houseplant, right? Are they also edible, like for salads?
If they are edible, I like the idea of getting one.

DH would know for sure I'd lost it when I start feeding him houseplants for supper! LOL!

!!!NO NOT EDIBLE!!!!!
yes you can grow them as a house plant
they do have some Med. properties but should only be used by someone thet knows what they are doing so i won't go into that

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thanks Troy, that solves that dilemma. LOL! I think I'll stick to trying to get an little herb garden going in the kitchen window.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

This is going to be an interesting plant to grow. Hope I have enough light in the house for it this winter. Can use an east or west window at best. Thanks for posting the pic.

Shirley

i keep mine in the greenhouse in the winter so i can't realy be of mush help about the light. i don't think they want direct sun but bright light

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

this is how i remember pregnant onion look... http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Liliaceae/Ornithogalum_longibract.html , on each layer of the "onion skin" will appear new babies, if given the right environment and care.

when i used to collect cactus & succulents, i premix the soil i used: 50% potting soil, 50% pumice rock. a teaspoon of bonemeal added to each gal. pot used for each plant. the potting soil retain moistures to supply the plant w/food & nutrient. the pumice rock aerates the plant root.

pregnant onion do multiply rapidly with suitable growing medium. this plants is very lovely when the mother bulb is filled all over with baby onions in varying size.

keep the plant on the dry side, but not too dry to devoid the plant from moisture. the long lateral leaves should be lovely and graceful if proper care is given. the plant required semi sunny/shade location.

anyone got any to spare? thanks. am so nostalgic of the plants i once grew :(.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks to you to MVR. If I get this one to grow and when it does produce bulblets, I'll sure share with you.

wow i don't do go to that much trouble and they just grow use the same mix i use for most everything

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

S.... they are very easy to grow. if u got spider plants to compare... the pregnant onion is similar in growth pattern. the difference is it require to allow the potting medium to dry out betw. watering. remember the onion retains so much moisture in the bulb. if over watered it will turn to a mush.

Thank S.

Grandview, TX(Zone 7b)

I have some extra preg Onion if you would like some, just let me know, I woould be happy to share.
Toadlily

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.