Tree Peony Seed Saving ??

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

My question is "Does anyone know when to collect seeds from tree peonies?" I don't know what they are supposed to look like. I have lots of seeds and right now they are white in color. If I wait too long, will they pop open and scatter all over the place?

Thumbnail by Brugie
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Shirley, I don't think you like that plant. You better just dig it up and get rid of it. You still have my addy? ROTFL I don't know much about Peony seeds. Sorry

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Well Michele, when I dig this baby up this fall, I'm going to send a start to Jon and I'll send you one too if you will remind me. I'm not all that crazy about the tree peony. They just don't hold the blooms long enough for me.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL!!! I was just kidding you. Wondered how long it would take you to find my post. :) My very first peony is finally blooming after three years and I am just thrilled to death!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Well, I was serious. If you want a start all you have to do it yell. It will be yours.

Going to bed now. Will check in tomorrow or email me.

S.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Brugie, save me a piece! I have a tree peony that I just adore! It is a single white, and it would love a companion! I prefer the singles to my doubles. It always happens that the day after they open we get a heavy downpour which turns the petals to mush, besides making them so heavy they fall straight down into the mud. If you want, I would be happy to trade one of mine for yours in the fall (or SASE?) I have 'Festiva Maxima' and a pink that might be 'Sarah Bernhardt' or another very similar.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

If you want to save seed from this (for trading?) wait until the pods turn dark and withered, then the seeds will be ripe. Mine do that about 2 months after flowering is finished. A peony expert told me to only save seed if I really wanted it for a special reason, otherwise deadhead. I will let one of mine set seed, but will reluctantly deadhead the others. I think the seedheads are very ornamental. Mine turn bright red as the seeds develop. Very effective against the green background.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the info on seed saving. I'll go whack most of them off now. As for a start in the fall, you will have to email me later on. I know there will be enough for two people, but the tree is to big I can't get down to see how many shoots are coming out of it. By fall, there should be even more. Guess I could part the branches and see what I have. Duh, another senior moment. Boy, they are lasting a long time these days. :-)

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I just found this website that explains how to propagate peonies (herbaceous or tree).

http://www.paeonia.com/html/about_peonies/propagation.htm

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That is a long process to get a peony from seed. Thanks for the site. It was interesting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.