Variegated Morning Glory Bush

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Ms. Jen, here is the picture of the squatty little morning glory bush. I hope with some time it will decide it wants to grow up.

Thumbnail by Brugie
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

That's really unusual. I like it.

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

Ms brugie, i have some seeds, had a few plants last year. they were very attractive, seems like red blooms? got to start me some!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I bought the same thing. It came with a trellis, but I don't think it is a climber - am I right?

Wapakoneta, OH(Zone 5b)

Morning glory bush...have never heard of it before. Sounds and looks like an intersting plant. I would be interested in some seed, if there are any available.
Bobbi

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

This is my first try with them. Will have to see what happens. The foliage is certainly different, so I hope it will get big and produce some gorgeous blooms to make it complete.

It looks like MG Minibar Rose. I am growing some this year for the first time. Mine was bushy like that for a long time, and just sent up a twining shoot the other day. It is a dwarf and only gets to about 4 ft. Great for a container and trellis! I had the hardest time germinating the seed. I have been soaking them for about 7 weeks. Every few days, some still swell up and germinate when potted up.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the info. My seed sprouted very quickly. Less than a week. I was really surprised. I sent one plant home with a friend from Wisconsin. She will be happy to know what it is.

I just went to Google and looked it up. Pretty color for the flower and I really like the way the foliage is so variegated with more age. Hope mine will look like this.

This message was edited Thursday, May 30th 9:33 PM

Gilmer, TX

I have some of those. Was surprised when I saw the varigated leaves,but checked and sure enough it was a MG.
Glad to know it's going to have pretty flowers also.

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

there are several (I. nil) that have that foliage
i discovered Ipomoea durning the winter and have collected
about 35 different glories I. nil chocolate has huge blooms and they beautiful also one form has normal leaves and the other has variegated
some glories go by as many as 6 different names sorry to say
so i bought seeds of everything offered for sale durning the winter.

some glories climb and others don't

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I would LOVE a variegated morning glory. Hope some of you guys save seed this fall.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Cala, I tried to get a picture today, but was just a few minutes too late to catch the bloom open. It is a light pink with a white edge. Very pretty. I hope there will be seed on this one. I'll sure save it if there is. I'd love to have other variegated ones. I love the look of the variegated foliage with the blooms against it.

Gilmer, TX

Will be sure and save seeds on mine too. Can't wait to see if it's the same color bloom as Brugie's.

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

don't forget the most MG's cuttings will root and over winter in a greenhouse. :-)
Larry

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Brugie, How did you germinate your seeds.? I have
three seeds I just received and would love to get them planted, or do you think it is too late this season?

Patricia

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Patricia,
I just put them in moist soil and they came up very quickly. If you want to push them a bit, knick the side of the seed coat, soak for just a few hours, and plant. Place in a warm location and I'm sure they will be up in no time. Hope this helps. No, I don't think it is too late. Mine are blooming now and they have only been growing since March. Warmer weather will make them grow faster, so you could probably even catch up with mine. It is kind of like when we plant tomatoes, but see that one in the nursery that already has tomatoes on it so we get it too.....then find out that they all mature at the same time.

Shirley

Hey Larry, it is good to know they will root. I had some rooted cuttings sent to me last fall of another MG and was wondering if it would work with other varieties. In case I don't get seed, I'll at least be able to save the plant. Thanks.........S

This message was edited Tuesday, Jun 4th 1:46 PM

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Oh boy, am i slow, lol...just caught the thread calas thread and saw your posting about posting it here.
its GREAT!!! would love to have a piece when you decide to cut it back.
thanks again for posting
jen

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Jen, I'm hoping it will produce seeds. If not and if it ever gets some size, I'll try to remember to get a piece rooted for you. Now I can quit watching this thread. I was afraid you would reply and I wouldn't get back to see it. Did you catch the post someplace where I asked if you could root me a piece of Kyle's Giant White? If I don't hear from you, I'll just email later.

Thanks......Shirley

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

i use an emory board and soak mg seeds, plant when i see them starting to sprout. brugie, i still haven't planted my seeds, seems like my flowers are hot pink. gotta find some time!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Arlene, at least down where you live, you have a much longer season to do all the planting in. UP here if we don't get it done early, we don't get it, period.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I purchased this plant at our Superstore up here...in a 6" [pot]........already he's chasing up the fishing line on to my rose arbour! is this the one that is originally called.....Ipomea purpurea(only in this case*variagated??? Elaine

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Don't know Elaine but would you try rooting a cutting for me sometime this summer?

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

brugie, yes, ill start kyles giant for you, hes still kinda small, and nowhere near ready to start pruning, but i will.
did i need to replace any of the other cuttings?
lmk,
jen'
p.s., i dont recall ever seeing seeds on my pink, i've supplied quite a few with cuttings that had luck with them, but no seeds.

This message was edited Friday, Jun 14th 6:23 PM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

1601, I think this is supposed to bush rather than vine. I'll surely know one day. I started it from seed, so I hope it will produce some of its own.

Jen, maybe just wait until fall and send me a cutting then. I don't need it for summer anyway. Would just like to begin next year with one. Thanks. As for the others, NO, I got another Whiskers and it is doing fine. I just couldn't get the little ones to grow. Half of the trouble might be me. I don't do well with green wood.

Thanks Jen. Later........S

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

These were made to go in hanging baskets. I have one and it is in a basket and I am waiting to see what happens with it that is if the d--n stray cats don't kill it by knocking it around.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I hope you guys will put my name in the pot for a cutting or a few seed. Please.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Shirley, Thanks for the information. I will start mine today.

Patricia

(Zone 5a)

Now I have seen it all! First I see morning glory trees, now I see this little lovely, I had no idea there were so many types of morning glories. I will be watching for a picture of the blooms.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I have several, pink w/white edge and purple w/white edge.... not sure what they really are, but they are pretty. If mine don't set seed by fall I'll divide them up and send them to people who have greenhouses, I'd hate for them to just die.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I kept a couple of my Ipomoea Acuminata vines growing in a window all winter this year and a couple of the regular bush morning glories too. Had a little trouble with spider mites, but they didn't kill them. I'm sure you could keep a few of them. They don't seem to grow a lot during the winter.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Someone recently told me to take cuttings of my specific morning glory's that I wanted to keep. Have any of you rooted pieces from your Ipomea's?

Patricia

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Patricia, I have rooted a lot of the Ipomoea Acuminata vines by just sticking a section under the soil in the same pot and then cutting it off after it has rooted. As for some of the annuals, I'd probably not even try if seed was available.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I would love to overwinter some of the finer MG's this winter! would start new ones for the owner.

So Brugie, you're really layering the vine to produce the roots?? Elaine I'm going to try that also!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

tiG,
You might get mine.... they are not producing any seed, everything falls off after blooming, down to the branch. Darn, those masterminds who geneticaly engineer plants to be sterile!

Well, gals and guys..I have here my Var. Morning Glory..he's now going in two directions: up and down..one of you said he's a hanging basket dude and someone else insisted he's a bush..well, I've decided to name him "Everyway but loose!!" climbing and hanging! Elaine

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Crimson I really will overwinter for anyone who doesn't have room to keep them and don't want to lose. I got a var. morning glory this weekend, but I don't think they are the same thing, mine is like a real MG, not a bush. It's very pretty!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I just got a Ipomoea x imperialis morning glory blue silk which is variegated..........so tell me is this a bush or a vine and Shirley is this what you have that started this thread way back when??? I searched online last night for an hour and finally found a picture of the flower but not the plant.

I am telling you Dave's is not good for me AT ALL!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Gosh Kell, I don't remember posting a picture of the flower, but could have. The flower on this one is pink with a white edge. Yes, it is supposed to be a bush, but now I'm seeing short runners coming out of the plant, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'll send you a picture of the one you have via email. It will vine, I believe. Think it is like Mt. Fuji maybe. I've grown Fuji and it has great variegated foliage. Nice blooms too. Am anxious to see your blue silk in bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.