holly

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Posted this under propagation but noone answered so putting it here. Holly cuttings??? Cemetery cut two mature trees yesterday and I got some branches with new growth. Anyone know how when??? I do not have a greenhouse .

Oak Ridge, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi, Found this info on the net. Hope it helps.
Cordially....Dorise

Tips on growing holly

Are you thinking of growing Holly? Maybe I can make a few suggestions and tell you a little about Holly. Holly is a very familiar and decorative shrub, rich in foliage, colorful in fruit,long lived and a great plant. It does require fertile loam, some shade, and grows best in a humid atmosphere. It does grow very slowly.

Transplanting is very difficult so you might want to just think of buying each plant instead of trying to transplant to another area of your yard.

If you transplant at all, try doing this in May, with irrigation, otherwise try October. Here are some varieties:

I.acuifolium- English Holly (Europe and Asia). Shrub or tree 40'. The dark leaves are hard and spined. There are many varieties based on leaf characters or berry. It clips well, but is expensive for a hedge.

I.cassine- Dahoon (moist woodlands or wet soils of the south). Shrub or tree 25'. Light green oval leaves and red berries.

I. cornuta- Horned Holly. 8'-10'. Has oblong leaves with few long spines. The best one in heat and dry air. The variety "Burfordi" is an age variant propagated from old wood with round, dark leaves and no spines.

I.vomitoris- Yaupon. Shrub or tree 25'. Branches are rigid, horizontal, completely surrounded by the scarlet berries. Not selective as to soil, more easily transplanted. Used as hedging in Florida and along the Gulf coast. Drops the small, oval leaves during frosts.

To germinate Holly seeds with the pulp removed you will need to place these seeds in a stratification, this is the placing in layers of sand covered with leaves, soil or straw and exposed to winter weather. Alternate freezing and thawing helps to crack these seeds. The purpose of this is to keep the seeds frozen or cool. Toward spring after the seed coat has cracked then the Holly seeds are taken out and planted.

Holly shrubs when used in foundation planting around your home will tend to become overcrowded and straggly if they are not kept pruned. Pruning will encourage a thicker growth and also keep the Holly shrubs within bound.

Holly with its evergreen leaves and its bright red berries is popular everywhere. Most gardeneres do not realize how much it does vary.

Many forms are selected for their superior forms and fruit. Pistillate and staminate flowers are on separate trees, the pistillate ones form the fruit, and the staminate plants must be grown nearby for the cross-pollination needed to form the fruit.

I do hope my information has been helpful in your decision to grow Holly as this is a beautiful shrub and will last many years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.