Chocolate Mint

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

Will this mint spread like apple mint and others that will take over the beds?

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

yeah, it does :/ i have it rampaging through the garden myself!

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

Thanks Lilith, I'm glad I asked before planting.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

It smells and taste so good though.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I just got this and absolutely love the smell. I hope I can just leave mine long enough for it to spread. I didn't put anything around it to keep it from spreading, but it will have lots of competition.
Lizh, What kind of leaf does your apple mint have? I was greenhouse hopping last week and one of my internet trade mints that they called Amish mint looked like thier apple mint. What I thought was my apple mint has a shiny leaf. My "Amish Mint" has a fuzzy light green leaf.
After all this I certainly realize the need for latin names but I'm not so good at it. Nevertheless, mints are so fun in the garden. all the wonderful different smells and textures!

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

KathyJo, My applemint has light green leaves & the underside of leaves is a little more fuzzy. It makes a very good tea. I haven't put the chocolate mint in the ground yet, but did lift it out of the pot and can tell by the roots it will spread big time.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

My mint with the fuzzy leaves doesn't seem to spread as fast as the other mints. The leaves are a little bigger as well. But, it's one of my favorites.

Franktown, CO(Zone 5a)

If you plant your mints in the same area they cross breed and turn up fuzzy spearmint!

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Invasive? I have tried growing chocolate mint two or three times, and it dies. Regular peppermint does just fine... Does the chocolate one not like so much moisture as the others? Thanks, John

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I've had trouble with it too John. I haven't been able to get any mint to grow more than one year. I'm trying again this year and hoping it works this time. I too would be interested in knowing if the Chocolate Mint has different requirements than the others.

Lancaster, CA

Hello All,

Chocolate mint requires the same conditions as the others mints I have. Apple, Ginger, Peppermint and Spearmint. The only thing holding the chocolate mint in check is the "cerise queen" yarrow in the same bed. It's spread quite a bit in and around.

I did notice (As mentioned) that the fuzzy leaved types are not as aggressive as peppermint but have not tried them in the same bed with any other. I have Apple, Ginger and Spear in 5 gal pots sunk in the ground. The bottom is cut off the pot. That prevents the peppermint from taking over the bed. I've lost mints before that way.

I live in a Southern CA desert and treat them as follows;
Somewhat amended but basically poor clay soil in a raised bed. Afternoon shade. Water regularly, esp during hi summer. Cut as needed. Mulch in winter with compost. Water sparingly

I collect the "weedings" (from chocolate mint) to use for my tea. It makes a wonderful ice cream too.
Chris

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Every year I purchase a variegated pineapple, or apple mint from a nursery. In a mild winter, it may winter over, but not often. However, I have a chocolate mint that was given to me by Ceeads, and it winters over quite nicely.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

My variegated pineapple mint does quite nicely, but seems to be loosing it's variegation? So any of you seem to have this "problem"? It still has it's wonderful fragrance etc., but I also like the variagation for it's contrast.
If the chocolate mint seems not be be an easy keeper I may split it and try to grow it in a couple of different areas.

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

I noticed my chocolate mint is turning more green, it has lost the dark shading in the leaves.

my pineapple still has lots of variegation, where do you have yours kathyjo? variegated plants need a lot more sun than the plain kinds. mine even has one or two pure cream leaves and seems quite happy in the sun.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Lilith, mine is in direct sun, in a rock garden type situation around and old well. It grows wonderfully there, just specks of white on the leaves though.

i'd send you a bit if i could, :)

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

No problem about that. I just read where you live. I hope to get to the U.K. someday to see the gardens.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Lizh, I grow chocolate mint in hanging baskets and sell them at our Farmers Market. It really makes a beautiful basket and the folks must like it 'cause it is a big seller for me.

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

That sounds great justmeLisa, I would have bought one. I didn't want to plant mine with the other mints, so put it in a big pot.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Lisa that is a great idea that would make a pretty hanging basket.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.