cukes and squash

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Speaking of Experimenting:
Anyone out there grown these types before, if so what were the growth habits, tastes, etc. Your Thoughts, likes, dislikes? LOL
8-Ball Zucchini
Condor Squash
Spacesaver Cukes
Summer Dance Cukes

I grew the spacesaver cukes last year, actually. They were fun because the plant was so incredibly small, but the fruit was also small and did not bear nearly as well as I would have liked. The fruit was a very "cucumbery" taste, which was nice. I think I would recommend it to try, just for the fun of seeing such a tiny plant actually produce cukes.

dave

Thanks for the info Dave, I look forward to my "tiny" bounty!!

Lancaster, CA

I grew 8ball zukes last year. They were sold under a latin name in a local latin grocery store, I'm certain they are the same thing. Round zucchini. Growth habit was bush type. The flavor was, well, zucchini. Production was on par with bush patty pan type squashes. I think I got about 6 zukes (per plant) before I stopped picking them small and waited to see how big they'd get. Answer, big enough to slice in half and stuff. About the size I could comfortably hold in my hand. The medium size ones were great sliced horizontally brushed with olive oil and grilled.

This message was edited Thursday, May 23rd 6:40 PM

Thanks dsrtgdn I can already taste those zukes on the grill!!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Ditto what Dsrtgdn said about the 8-balls! I grew them a couple years ago and they were fun. I can't remember who it was that grew the Summer Dance cukes, but someone said they tried them and they had a nice flavor. Can't remember much else, though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.