Online journal - getting started

Terry,
here's a screen shot from my journal homepage. I had set my EB journal to be the default journal and until today it always opened first. Here is what I have tried
Clicked on the change your default journal every way I can think of: left click, right click & told it to open in new window, clicked while holding the shift key.
Clicked on manage journals which only gives me the option to change my journal's names,
Clicked on access all items- lists "0" items
clicked on manage catagories- shows me the two catagories from the empty journal..
Notice at the top of the page it says there are 9 categories?
Terry I should let you know I have high blood pressure which sometimes causes my thinking to be very cloudy. So the solution may be very obvious and I just can't see it. That is why I am sending you the screen shot.
thanks for helping.

Thumbnail by angele
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

If you've tried clicking on the Elephant Butte link, and that's what you're seeing after you do that, then that sounds like a "bug" that Dave needs to fix.

Terry, I just lowered my privacy settings by one level under my internet options and I am now able to get into my EB Journal. I just downloaded all the new Microsoft security updates (6 of them)yesterday and maybe that changed something?

Sorry to have troubled you but maybe this will help someone else that runs into the same kind of problem

That's good to hear - I'm glad you were able to figure it out on your own, and yes - that information may be very helpful for others!

Thank you Terry :-) The journal is so precious to me. Just posted a new picture of what I think is an apricot to my previously "unknown tree" entry. Now it's the "Maybe Apricot" entry.
Hugs

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Someone just e-mailed me and noted that you can alphabetize the journal headings by clicking on a column category... is there anyway to alphabetize the entire thing, genus AND species at the same time? Otherwise, for me, the journal is really not a usable tool.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I think Palmbob's suggestion is a good one. I've had a number of occasions where I'd like to have a primary and secondary sort column. Generally I want Genus and Cultivar, but could see where species would also be important.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Is there a way to make the Diary Journal the default?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Wow this is pretty confusing to me. Guess I will just have to take the time to read and think about what I read. But is there a simple way to start? I mainly want to start with 4 lists: Daylilies in my garden, irises ditto, DL wish list, Iris wish list. Then I want to divide the DL lists into dip and tet. All I know at this point is the cultivar name...

Is there anyone that has the time and patience to point me in the right direction?

It sounds like the "diary" option may be right for you, and a "sticky" note at the top of this forum will give you some pointers on getting a diary with multiple tabs up and running..

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I just noticed today that there is an option in the Plantfiles to add that plant to your journal.

My thought was, if I see the plant in the PF's I can add it to my journal. So I went to my journal and set up categories, then went back to "Cardinal Climber" and click on the add to journal.

The next choice was to click on the RID or search the journal. I put in "vines and climbers" in the search journal box. It comes up "No Results Found". The brakes locked and I got no further until I came here.

Is it possible to build you journal by simply moving pages from Plant Files to your journal? This would be great if I could get it to work. I can usually only remember common names and with the Plant files entries, the botanicals would be at my fingertips.

What am I doing wrong that it won't take be forward?

Then I wanted to add my own photos too, but I need to try again on that one.

Molly

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think you might be having the same problem I had initially with adding PF to journals. Do you have just the default journal, or do you have other ones? When I just had the default journal, I would click on the add to journal link and it would give me a screen that sounds a lot like what you're seeing and the plant wouldn't get added. But once I created a new journal, then when I click on the add to journal link, the next screen asks which journal to put it in, then you can follow through and choose what category to put it in and everything seems to work fine. Hope that helps you!

Ecrane,

I went back and tried it again. I now have a second journal. I tried this two ways.

I wanted to put Whirling Butterflies in my perennial category in the default. (I don't have it in there now) So I go to the plant files page for this one. Click on add to my journal. Then click on default and the search journal block shows up. I type in perennials. It says not found.

Next I tried Turks Cap *which is already in the default in periennials. I click default and put perennial in search. Not found. I go back and put turks cap in the search...still not found.

I'm dead in the water here. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, but can't figure out what.

:^((

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think I've figured it out--seems like you can't add things from PF to your default journal. I just tried adding a plant to my default journal instead of the one I created, and it didn't work. Have you tried selecting one of your other journals instead of the default one when you're adding things? Hopefully that should work!

Going now to try that. Once I get it started and working, do you know how much work I have to do? LOL

Could be a project for a lazy Sunday, Be right back.

Molly

Ecrane,

By Geoge it worked!!!!! Thanks so much for your help. Now I have a busy day, better get started.

Molly
:^)))

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Molly,

Glad that worked! I know I had a couple frustrating days before I could get it figured out, but once it's working it's a great feature!

Ecrane, you are a better person than me! It's taken me almost 2 years to get this far. I've been out to the garden this morning making the list to start the big transfer and it's getting easier and quicker by the minute.

Thanks again,
Molly

Ecrane,

I am back, little problem. I am having no problem addings plants from the Plantfiles.

Oh wow, I am really baffled. I started a journal of Plants to take North. That's where I was putting my plants from the PF. In looking in the journals, it appears as tho they are in the default.

Now I've run across one that is not listed in plant files. Specifically, Hosta 'Mouse Ears'. So I go to the hosta category at the bottom of the list is a button for "Add New Entry" when I click on that, it takes me back to the manage your journals page, every time.

I feel like a total inadequate idiot. Again, please help.

Molly

Oh no, now I just went back to adding more from PF and the categories aren't found, in any of the journals.

Waahhhh,
this is so frustrating.

Molly

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Molly,

On your first question, to add something that's not in PF, go to your main journal page and click on the category you want to add something to. When you're in the category, you should see two links near the top of the page, one to prepare the page to print, and one to add new things to the category. If you click on this link, it should work (I can't get it to work from the Add an Entry button on the bottom of the page).

For your second question, I don't know what's going on--sorry! Anytime I try to add a plant, if I click Default Journal then it does nothing, but if I click on the Garden 2005 journal that I created then it always pulls up the categories so I'm not sure why you're not seeing yours anymore. Although, you should still be able to add stuff from PF even if you don't put it in a category--I've done this where I select my Garden 2005 journal, then don't do anything when it says to click here to select a category, and I've found everything I've added that way shows up under "Unknown" status, and from there I can change categories, etc.

Liz

Liz,

Thanks again for that. I managed to go back this time and do both different tasks. The category listing is back.

I'm just losing my mind and when it's all gone, I'll go play a game.

:^)))))))
Molly

You are a very patient lady.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Molly, There is a blue mouse ears PF. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/6004/index.html
Is this it? Linda

Thanks Linda,

Thats the one and it's added now

Molly

Orlando, FL

I'm trying to delete the defalt journal. how do I do this

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

In plant files you can click and add a plant to your journal. I have been doing this but cant find them in the journal. Where do they go? Thanks.

Try adding a plant from PlantFiles, and look carefully at the link you're accessing to add it. Then when you return to your journal, you should be able to spot that link. If you don't....hmmmm. I guess we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it!

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

it says importing to journal. I bet I am doing something wrong. thats for helping me.

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

lol I ment thanks for helping me.

Emeryville, CA

Is there a way to change the name of "default Journal" to a name of my own choosing???

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I can't seem to find my plants in my journal. I usually start placing them in my trade list while I am looking them up on PF (at the bottom of the page). Example: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/1405/
After the plant is in the trading section I ask it to copy to my journal. http://davesgarden.com/trading/edit/viewentry.php?tlid=53913
It then takes me to my selection of journals http://davesgarden.com/trading/edit/journalcopy.php?tlid=53913 . When I click on Garage west the next page says it has been copied to the journal. I am not asked if I want to go to it like the other journals. http://davesgarden.com/trading/edit/journalcopy.php?tlid=53913&jid=1873
When i go to the Garage West journal it is not listed.
I even tried to just add it to the journal itself under Garage West where it says to add an entry but I ended up on Garage West main page.
I am not sure the links will work so I hope I explained it well enough for you to understand.
Linda

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Linda,

I don't use the Trade Tracker, but here's something I've noticed when importing things directly from Plant Files into my journal. No matter what journal you tell it to put the plant in, it will always put it in the journal that you had selected as your default, so if your default journal was one other than Garage West then you might find your plants in the other journal instead. For example, I have two journals, one called Garden 2005 and one called Wish List. If I go to my journal homepage and select Garden 2005 as my default, then go to Plant Files and import a plant and tell it to put the plant in my Wish List journal, it will put it in Garden 2005 instead because that's the one I had selected as my default. Don't know if that's what is going on for you but might be worth checking.

Santa Cruz Mountains, CA(Zone 9a)

This weekend I reorganized my journal (the one called Almanac and Journal). I was using FoxFire. I then tried to add an entry to a category I had just created (Shrubs/Bushes"). I had already moved an old entry into it. But every time I clicked on "Add an Entry" the page that loaded was the one that starts with "Need some help?"

I figured it was an abberation that would disappear when I restarted the site. No. I then decided to reboot. Same results. I then decided to use Internet Explorer. No luck. I then read this whole thread and tried lowering my privacy settings. I am still stuck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Santa Cruz Mountains, CA(Zone 9a)

Cancel above message. I just got it. Sorry.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

ecrane, for some reason I just found your answer to me.
yes, that was what my problem was.
I was having problems with my Journal until I discovered I have to work from Top to Bottom. In other words, I can't change categories unless I start at the Top, namely the Journal name then work within that Journal. Every category in my South Journal can't be put in my North categories until I go to the North Journal first.
Thanks again.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Glad I could help! I don't use Trade Tracker so I wasn't sure if it was the same bug I had run across or not, but I'm glad to hear you've got things working now!

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

I am just getting started in my journal which I am using more as a "Landscape Record" partly for my own use of having organized records but also as a record that I can hand over to a realtor someday in the future who may very well compliment my years of hard work but comment on the care of the property may now be beyond the average home owner and limit potential buyers. Is there any way I can enter a start date prior to Jan 1 2000. I would love to use this option as the date of record that any tree, shrub ect were planted? I am unable to print out my journal pages including images am I doing something wrong? Thanks Katy

Katy, I don't think you can enter a date prior to 1/1/2000. (Sorry!)

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Terry,
Thanks for the very quick responce it was much appreciated. I am also wondering what I am doing wrong when I try to print out pages with images my images do not print? Thanks Katy

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Hi Terry I've just found this thread. I posted a question on DG Forum, but I think this is the place for it:
I've just started using my DG Journal (I know - how long have I been here? LOL)
Anyway, I would now like to change the title of one of my 'top level' categories but can find no way of deleting and replacing it. I've done it easily with the ones beneath - it's just the top level
Sorry to be a pain, but please can someone help me?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images