forsythia bush

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

can anyone tell me how to start a forsythia bush? My neighbor has some and I would LOVE to get one started without digging hers up. I am new and don't trust myself that much (I would hate myself if I killed her shrub). I would like to do it by getting a few branches. Is this possible? Julie

Dutton, AL(Zone 7a)

Its not a problem to propagate Forsythia. I've recently propagated a few. My grandmother told me that all you need to do is to clip off a cutting, anywhere from 2' to 3'. And just stick it in the ground, to at least two nodes in the ground. Sounds simple and it is. She has had success in doing this. Try it out. It won't hurt your neighbor's bush, it will help it. Cutting back Forshythia helps its shape and it will grow back to a even higher bush than it was before. If your neighbor cuts it back just get a few of the cuttings and plant them. It should work.

FernCliffFarms

This message was edited Friday, Apr 6th 10:36 PM

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Forsythia is very easy to propagate. You can also just lay a few of the attached branches on the ground and in not time they'll have roots. No need to dig, cut or anything. Just snip them off once roots have developed.

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks guys, that sounds easy enough for even me. Julie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have a hedge row of bushes-if anyone wants any email me directly-cuz I forget to check back sometimes ;]
dori

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

By the way, it worked wonderfully (so far). The leaves are now green and I don't think any of them fell off. Thanks a bunch everyone! Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.