More on Clematis

I do agree with you Louisa. In the garden setting the trellis, pergola, wall etc. would be my choice of location for the Clematis. Just in the seldom experienced situation where I may have an old established and rather unhappy looking tree would I attempt to cloth it with a Clematis. But, I am a believer in experimenting and I've seen some amazing results from intuitive and and adventurous planting.

Writing of Clematis. I don't know if you have any,or have experience of them, but the herbaceous types can be very attractive. A different kind of flower, but never-the-less well worth considering if space is available.

Peter

Thumbnail by Peter63
Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

i LIKE that!!!
jen

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I do indeed love the herbaceous clematis Peter!! What a beautiful photo!! I used to have five old apple trees - cookers - and did grow the rose New Dawn and Viticella Etoille Violette into the lower branches of one and Henryii on another - it didn't detract from the trees but rather enhanced them!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

is this YOUR clematis??? I ordered this one from jackson and perkins 2 years ago. I got 1 flower last year andthis year. It never came back up out of the earth! Very pretty

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

what is the name of this beauty and where can I find it????????????/

Hello mingsmimi - its a pity about your herbaceous Clematis. I can only write that they do well here in my zone 8-9 in the UK. They are treat just the same as any other herbaceous border/bed plant in ordinary garden soil of average fertility. A little general fertiliser in spring when growth commences and a good mulch in summer(while the soil is still damp), and again in the autumn.

Peter.

Hello tig - the name of this Clematis is
C.x eriostennon 'hendersonii' As you will note from the x it is a hybrid. Being in the UK I can only leave a source up to your own local enquiries or web searches.

Peter.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

tig here you are

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/chalkhillclematis/order.html

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Louisa, what a great link. I remember finding this long ago, forgot about what and where . Thanks!
Peter63 I just think I was born to the wrong zone!!! Bet your things are lovely there.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

mings many of the clematis originate from the Himalyan mountains and some from warmer climes such as Australia. the Americas and Europe. Therefore there are those which would be hardy in your zone and others that would need winter protection. :-)

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

So, then maybe they should be covered in winter?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

mings it wouldn't hurt to mulch them well in the winter and of course it depends on the cultivar. I always plant mine deeper in the soil by about 4 inches lower than it is in the pot. That way, if the frost or clematis wilt attacks the plant then new growth will come from beneath the soil!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

ooooohhhhh.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I live in zone 5 and have grown clematis many years. Right now have about 20, some new some 7 years old. Have lived in this location for 7 years, Have 3 herbaceus kinds. My favorite right now is Proteus, not in bloom yet. I think Louisa's advice to plant at least 4 inches below soil line is probably best advice. I had two that died to the ground this winter, (don't know why) but both are now growing and one stalk has a nice bud. I am a life member of American Clematis Society, have been for a couple of years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.