Worth it wieght

Hello All, my home made GH has proven to be worth its wieght in gold, this the second spring it has been up, it was constructed last February, it has given me a whole new world to enjoy, especially when its raining like it has been, it gets me out of the house without getting a soaking.

At the moment i have about 10 trays of seedlings and a dozen annual roots potted, and they are all doing well, and getting a good head start, so those of you who do not have one, should give it a great deal of thought, they really are worth there wieght in gold.

Kingsville, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi;
Glad to hear fom someone else who feels the same way about their Greehouse. We're building a new, used but new to us, hoop house. Our seedlings will be going in there to harden. This will allow me to plan more seeds and do some more rootings.
Do you have any pictures???
Tom playing in the mud,

No tom, not yet, its not as fancy as your plant palace, lol.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Love my home made greenhouse, is the best thing I've ever done for myself, well...my husband did for me. I spend hours and hours out there, rain, snow or shine! I can't begin to say how many trays of seedlings and baby plants are out there, as well as some mature ready to be planted plants.

I look for plants to repot or find more seeds to start, someone that needs water, any reason just to be out there, and if I don't find any immediate reason I sit out there anyway and read or whatever.

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

I definitely agree, Alan. I love my greenhouse and it has given me hours and hours of pleasure. I go there to escape and putter around. I just wish I had the money to enlarge it! LOL

Terri

Toston, MT(Zone 4a)

Jody,
Have you ever just sat in your greenhouse and stared at the plants. I relate it to 'watching the grass grow', but sometimes I find myself sitting there and staring. My mind is adrift and I'm totally at peace. I too love the greenhouse, although our first one this year ended up in a heap due to the wind, but we're working on #2.
My favorite smell in a greenhouse is the tomatoes. When I water them, I rustle their leaves more than I need to just to get the full aroma. Am I wierd or what?!
Heidi

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Heidi, yes I have "watched" the plants grow, LOL. And not wierd! I love the smell after watering!

I started out with a 6x8 now I'm up to 12x8 and going to enlarge it again this year, not sure to what though. So sorry to hear about your GH. I just got all new shelving and a new potting bench this weekend and spent the ENTIRE weekend out there reorganizing, repotting, etc. Have so much more space and am loving it!!!! Told my husband that I needed a nice lounge chair now that I have the extra room, LOL.

Heiedi, I do it all the time if its nice, just sit there in the warm and quiet, nothing like it really, and as you say jody, the smell of the plants after watering, looking forward to it again.

Chillicothe, OH(Zone 5a)

My husband built me a 10 X 20 GH 3 years ago and I love it so much that he now plans to build a new one this summer and it's going to be 14 X 32! Wow! I can hardly wait. I have really out grown this one. I think the home made ones are great. We learned a lot after building the one we have now so the next one will be much more efficent. He's going to put the radiant heat in the floor and we will have a wood burner in it also. I can just see us sitting by the warm fire in January and me thinking of what I'm going to plant next. I agree a GH is worth it's weight in gold. There is nothing like it. Other than staring plants, I also have a lot of plants I winter over in the GH.

Gillett, PA(Zone 5a)

Nett & Jody
both of you referred to a home made GH and was wondering if you had plans that you went by or what? I would love to have a GH but can't afford much $500-1000.00. I would like it portable- I think? Right now my hubby put up shelves in our porch windows (its nice but not really alot of room) I remember my Gr.Grama had a GH when I was real young and I've wanted one ever since! I've seen a GH that matched a guys house-a log home- and I know it's portable. I'm planning on stopping and asking for info on it. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks, Briggs

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.