cardinal climber

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

We planted cardinal climbers on a wire arbor. Is it normal for them to have few leaves & TINY vines. You can hardly see it once it started vining. It does have a few flowers on it that last one day. They are in fairly large pots & 2 pots on each side of the arbor (about 3 plants in each pot). I had hoped it would cover the arbor more & could be seen.
Sugar

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It will fill in as it gets older. Yes, best I can remember the vines are thin and the leaves are sort of feathery. It needs to be really warm before it takes off growing.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Just give it time. The vine is very delicate looking and will cover whatever you have it on. By late summer or fall, you'll probably be wondering why you planted it. But I love it. Hummingbirds love it too. Once it gets going, it will be seen, usually gets covered in red blooms. It just runs a little later that some things. And where every bloom is, there will be seed pods. I believe they have 3 or 4 seeds in each one (memory lapse).

I had planted some of these this year but mine aren't very big as yet. Things just don't grow fast enough for me. Can't wait for mine to start getting bigger and getting blooms.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

ginger, I'm TRYING to keep it deadheaded but doubt I succeed too well. I do want some seeds for next year. I'll probably have PLENTY of plants too :D
I can hardly wait to see what this yard looks like next year with all the reseeding we'll have.
Sugar

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

I don't bother to deadhead. But I have not had as many come up this year. And for all the early heat we had, mine that are up are just getting started climbing a few feet. But I did save a ton of seed last year. Mine got overpowering last year. Totally covered my nandinas 8 or 9 feet tall or more.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm in Flordia and I started mine in pots last March. They have covered a trellis and I had to put more taller bamboo stakes in...now I just trim what grows too tall. However, the bottom leaves have browned and most of the growth is at the top...still very arrtractive. Mine did the same...slow start and then BAM! Seems like overnight they shot up! Good luck...be patient...I think they are very nice...oh...and mine are in pots too....12"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.