Tropaeolum Tuberosum "Anyu"

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is my baby. I ordered this wee plant from Heronswood last spring, and it took off like a rocket. It is the small roundish leaves in the center of the three green sticks (teepee trellis). Completely covered an elderberry shrub. couldn't find a lot of info on it, so wasn't sure how or if it would overwinter. I collected seed and sent them to Weez a while back, and then noticed the huge big slimey looking bulbs sticking out of the ground early this winter. Well, I covered the whole thing up with the dead climbing parts of the old plant, watched the wind blow, the sleet fall, and the snow come and go, and waited to see what happened. It came back! Turns out that the native peoples from South America eat these tubers. The slimey parts had just been exposed to the freezing temps, thus the slime, but the rest of the tubers were well underground. And they can be divided. So I wonder if the seed I sent to Weez will grow? By the way, the Plant Data Base has a picture of it from last year, in bloom, but not the "Anyu" part of its name. I thought of posting this there, but I don't know how to do it. If someone reads this who knows and has a little time, could you email me and tell me how to post a photo to the PDB? I must be missing something...DUH

This message was edited Monday, May 13th 9:25 PM

Thumbnail by penny4
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

at the bottom of the entry you should see "upload a picture"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.