Tree peony questions for beginners...

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

A few questions for experts:

Since planting 2 years ago, vigorous new shoots have grown around original stem. Should these be pruned off because they are "suckers" from rootstock? Should I try to get it on its own roots? Flowers on new shoots are same (single white with red eye) as on woody stem, which hasn't grown nearly as much as new.

Can it be that allowing the seeds to develop has stunted the growth of wood? Should I be removing the spent flowers to enable it to grow for a few years?

The foliage died in the fall, but leaves did not come off until I cut them off in January. Should they come off by themselves? They look pretty bad by then.

Information is very hard to find about tree peonies. Lots available for herbaceous kinds.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

http://www.goldenport.com/peony/tpcare.htm

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

MaVie,thats a good link but did not answer the questions.....

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

CC ... i would suggest to write those people on that site for detailed info. my experience on peony is only on herbaceous kind.

The tree paeony 'Paeonia suffruticosa' was, and probably still is, grown on the roots of the herbaceous Peonia. This in my veiw is not good grafting practice, and was carried out purely for commercial convenience.

The species suffruticosa is synoymous with P.moutans (the Moutan Paeony) and also P.arboreus. Suffruticosa and its cultivars and hybrids are the main garden group we call the tree paeony. Other shrubby Paeonias include -P.delavayi; P.lutea which have foliage of architectural quality.

It will grow quite well on its own roots and is best propagated by layering previous years growths in spring before new growth commences.

From what you write regarding the good quality of the flowers produced on basal growths I suspect that yours will be growing on its own roots (unless you can see a definite graft union). This being the case I would prune it by gradually removing the old wood and replacing it with the new growths that you mention.

If your shrub is grafted, then it will either be on a herbaceous rootstock or a species such as suffruticosa onto which a cultivar scion has been stem grafted. Either way, if there are growths low enough to bend down to the ground and layer, it may be grown on its own roots.

Allowing seed to develop will not effect the state of the wood or habit of the shrub, but it is good policy to remove seeding stems unless seed is required.

Peter.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

You are sooo good.All stuff I've been asking for years...

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I knew there was an expert! Thank you for your help.

A couple thoughts: the older branches are quite stiff, and so unable to bend them to layer them. I can (and will) do so with the new shoots. How long should I keep them attached after they root? Another growing season? I assume it will take months for the roots to form, so if I do it this year (probably this week!) should I wait until spring '04 to separate the new ones? Our winters are often quite harsh and prolonged.

I don't see any sign of grafting done on this one, so it is probably either the understock that the grafted top died at the nursery, or was on its own roots to begin with. I bought it as an unnamed plant in fall '00 from a local nursery (it was $3.00 -- unheard of cheap here) I didn't care what the flowers turned out to be -- I love all peonies.

I did save and plant the ripe seeds from it last year. After reading a few other places, I now doubt whether it was in fact the true plant. They germinated, grew, and the stem started to turn woody the first year ('01). I gave them away as I had no room for new ones. But I would like to keep the seed to trade to another in the future.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I also have another question,Mine jjust bloomed,(a picture is posted on perrenials)the 3rd bloom opened and its solid red.the others are the red and white striped.Is one shoot growing from the rootstock?

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Karen, it sounds like it, but I am not the expert. Peter, any comments?

Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.