Campanula Wonder Bells Blue

Needham, MA(Zone 6a)

I just bought these beautiful low growing plants in 4 inch pots. I can't find anything on line @ them; planting time in zone 6, height and width they grow and spread, etc. etc....it says they were grown in Canada. Would appreciate any feedback.
Anxiously,
Gloriaglo

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Go to the Plants Database, and enter Campanula. It will bring up everything you need, and welcome to DG!!

"eyes"

Needham, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, but database didn't help me.

Needham, MA(Zone 6a)

Hyperlink didn't have it either. HELP!
Gloriaglo

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

virginia bluebells ... http://www.mounet.com/~jdye/bluebell.html

english bluebells / snowdrops ... http://www.orchard-nurseries.co.uk/bingcat1bbel.htm

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

It must be a campanula hybrid. It would help if there was a species to go by... maybe it's a campanula carpatica hybrid? Does the tag have a company where they were grown? Sometimes the company might have a web-site with descriptions of new hybrids available.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I found a picture .... http://www.pkm.dk/PKMBILLEDER/campanula2/campanula_bluewoner10.jpg Must be the same?

Ah ha! I found a German site that lists it as a Campanula cochlearifolia hybrid. I imagine it would have the same growing habits.

This message was edited Sunday, May 12th 8:52 PM

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It's one of those patented varieties. I bought it back in February of this year. It's quit blooming right now, but is sending out runners. http://davesgarden.com/showthread/198196.html

Needham, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Everybody...I'm new to Dave's Garden and I can't believe what I've been missing!
Gloriaglo

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Welcome Gloriagloms,
you'll enjoy it here, the people are very helpful, and not like a certain other site which will remain nameless ;-)
But now to get back to your plants: I have found that most Campanulas will grow almost anywhere. I've planted the low ground covers at my Mother-in-Law's (MIL) on a basically sand soil, and I had some in Scotland on a soil which I had to break into with a pick-axe.
Those here in Germany get a real hard freezing where she lives, and in Glasgow they got rained on every day and more. Everyone knows that in Glasgow it rains 400 days per year.
By the way, the plants did grow well in these oh so different circumstances ;-)

All the best

Wintermoor

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Calalily: I'm glad to linked to your previous thread about the Wonderbells. After reading the thread last night I looked for it and couldn't find it. I remember we tried to decide what type it was at that time. It makes sense that it is a cochlearifolia.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Weez, me too. I couldn't decide which one it was but cochlearifolia makes sense. I love campanulas and have latifolia blooming in the garden right now.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It's been a slow spring. I just bought a Campanula poscharskyana yesterday... that's one I didn't have yet. We had an odd winter, so I'm not sure what survived from last year. So far the latifolia and the glomerata are popping up out of the ground. The only things blooming around here are in the greenhouse or the house!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Weez - is your snow all gone?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

PoppySue: As of today, it is almost gone. The only thing left is the push piles from last winter's snowplowing and what fell off the roof. Of course, there are flower beds under some of those! It's actually beginning to look like spring around here, but the temps remain rather low. We reach the mid-50's during the day, but it dips into the low 40's at night. I guess it's been a slow spring in many places around the country. Oh well, it's bound to happen sometime.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Sounds like we're having an Alaskan spring here. It's been cold!! 40 & 30s at night still. I want some warm weather!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

We had a pretty good day here today... sunny and springlike. I'm trying to begin hardening off some of these plants, since I have to put them out on tables to sell them. This year I haven't been able to leave anything out in the cold wind for long, and I'm still taking a chance on them getting nipped by frost if I just use row cover at night. Even the trees are slow to bud out.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Winter....DD tells me she is basking under hot skies in Southern Germany and since this is her very first year of gardening she's loving it and gives her something else to think about!! Gloria welcome to our garden and I too love campanulas. We refer to yours as fairy thimbles!! One of my favourites!! I had a small campanula and it wasn't doing very well in this acid soil, even with amendments, so have now put it into a pot and is doing much better.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

has anyone had trouble with campanula (birch hybrid and white chips) or penstemon (midnight rubies) in the mid south, 7b? a lot of my new perennials planted this last spring didn't grow, grew and didn't bloom, or died!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

For the ones that didn't grow or didn't bloom, they're probably just following the general rule for perennials...the first year they sleep, the second year they creep, and the third year they leap. Whenever you first plant something, it needs time to get its roots established before it'll grow and bloom a lot, and especially if it didn't have a lot of time to get established before you got hot weather, it's not surprising that they didn't do that much. As far as the ones that died, it's hard to say why that happened without some more details, but if they were planted in the sun and the weather was already getting hot when you planted them or shortly thereafter, then sometimes you're going to lose a few even if you try do everything right as far as watering, etc, it's just too stressful for them.

Reeter, don't feel bad about loosing those plants , there wasn't much we could have done this Spring. I lost my penstemon this year as well. Both campanula and penstemon need very well drained soil. I add gravel into my bed, tho sharp sand probably would have been even better. It still wasn't enough to withstand all of this Springs freakish wet weather. I lost just about everything that needed well drained soil, some that I have had for years.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I just have to step in here and mention that the old threads still seem to have relevance. My campanula are just coming into their own in Seward, Alaska. It's a bit late, even for us, but we had a cold spring. When this thread last saw the light of DG day, I was a new member of DG and had so much to learn. Since then, I have grown so many different kinds of Campanula, I can't even begin to count. Poppysue was always a wonderful source of information in those days. I just wanted to mention how blessed I feel to be part of this website!

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

I agree, this is the best website ever!
Anybody know how long Campanula percisifolia takes to bloom from seed?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

For me, it is the second or third year, but my seasons are short.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

ok thanks.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

My SIL just gave me a clump of "peach-leaved" bellflower. It looks like campanula - is it c. percisifolia?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, that is the common name for C. percisifolia.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you. Good to know. I have to be careful referring to it as "peach-leaved" because many people (including me, at first) think that means the flower is peach colored.

This clump looks to be a year old, so I'm on my way to blossoms.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Spelling: Campanula persicifolia... you might have trouble finding it, using incorrect spelling.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you. There are mutliple spellings out there on the Internet. Spelling is noted. It's good to know the correct one. :-)

Kathy

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, I frequently make that spelling error, as we are more used to the 'c' in a word in that circumstance... at least, I am!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

It used to be that I had to make myself stop being such a perfectionist and finish some things. Now, I think I've swung the other directions - I can get started and finished, but I have to make sure I'm paying careful attention to what I doing as I'm doing it. LOL

How're things up there? I see you've been hit with a good share of ash. Some gal here has been stuck for several days trying to get home. I was up there in Fairbanks (where I grew up) during the quake of '64 and I was down here in Oregon (in Corvallis) just after the eruption of St. Helens.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Seward has escaped the ash fallout, so far. The 64 quake was quite something, I understand. I didn't arrive here until 1973, then moved here in '74.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh, good. That ash really does a number on everything - sort of like little pieces of rock falling from the sky. Yech.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, it sure can be a problem. I wonder if there is a nutrient advantage to a bit of ash fall on the snow? It would be filtered, then leach into the soil. It would probably be acidic, but there must be some good stuff in there.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I know people put wood ash around their Lilacs to encourage blooming. But I dn't know if volcanic ash is any different in composition.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'm sure it is. I think, other than the possible chemicals produced by the heat, it is ground rock.... minerals.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.