Question re:Clematis...

Pine City, MN(Zone 4a)

We have our first one (to be planted soon) and I read that it works well to put where they can climb a flowering crab tree. Do you think this is true? Any chance it would kill the tree?

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

20 people have looked at this and no one seems to know the answer. I had never heard of that, but don't think it would be strong enough to kill your tree, unless it is very small?? I have heard clematis like to have their roots kept cool, so I put some small plant in front to shade the roots, those seem to do the best in blooms and growth.

Number 40 now :) - The fact that a flowering crab has been mentioned does not indicate anything in particular in relation to the clematis. They can well be grown successfully up any tree that does not have a very dense canopy. Not being parasitic or saprophytic they do not take anything from their friendly support. The only one that I know of that might eventually overcome its tree is the C.montana which in itself can eventually make quite a trunk. But - I always say that it is up to the gardener to keep the growth of any plant in check where and when necessary.
Give lots of organic mulches as both tree and clematis will be taking moisture out of the soil. This will also help cover Hibuscus's point and keep the roots cool. Essential for the wellbeing of clematis - head in the sun and roots in the shade. Hence a tree with a heavy leaf canopy is not the best for supporting a Clematis.

Peter

This message was edited Saturday, May 11th 10:33 AM

Pine City, MN(Zone 4a)

Thank you both! I guess I should have mentioned that our flowering crab is relatively young and small. We'll see how it goes!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

About three or four years ago, I was ordering some clematis vines and it was suggested that you plant them at the base of trees or with roses. I put one at the base of a small lilac bush.......didn't work. It didn't come up the next spring. I was running scared, so I put the other one that did come up by a rose bush, on a trellis of it's own and I'm really glad I did that now.

Pine City, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks for all you help, everyone!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

In the wild clematis don't grow up trellises but rather depend on existing trees, shrubs etc on which to climb. I do have some growing on trellis at the moment but have planted climbing roses nearby so that when the rose is big enough it will support the clematis. The only clematis that would be too aggressive is, as Peter said, the montana and the evergreen Armandii. But having said that I think the beauty and structure of some deciduous trees would be spoilt by the addition of a climber.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.