Pyracantha

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Has anyone ever grown this? I was thinking of trying to 'espalier' it. Any help on this subject?
Thanx, Cecelia

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Celia,
I have a 'Mohave' and have been considering the exact same thing! It is a few years old, has a decent shape to start with and has required little care at all. I haven't had time to do any research and would love to know what type of wire or whatever to use. :)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Celia and Chele - I have 4!!! I won't be doing the rigid and traditional espalier!! Mine are growing up a wall and on a large trellis structure!! Only a year old now but doing well. I shall cut out some of the stems that grow outwards, (towards me if I stand in front of them) thereby directing more energy into the sides and back of the shrub which hug the structure!! This will create a natural espalier look!! Thought you both might be interested in these links! (Anything else I can help you with Chele?? lol!! ...:-)

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-619.html

http://216.122.176.138/garden/projects/00december1.htm

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanx louisa! Have you had any problems with, I think it's called 'Fireblight'? Or any other diseases? I read that they're colorful year round. What can I expect.
I plan to plant it against the side of my garage. Can I plant other things under/around it?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hmmm, I think that sweet little English woman has some sort of warning signal that goes off when I post! LOL Louisa, thank you for all the great information. Celia, I believe when I bought my Mohave, it said it was a more dwarf version and also a resistant variety. Mine is planted next to a brick wall in my herb garden. It gets about eight hours of sunlight per day. I have had not problems with it at all. The blooms are lovely and the berries look even nicer! Hey Lou, why don't you post some pictures of yours, I'd love to see them.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanx again! Hey what are you doing in the house? Is it raining there? Really nice up here. DH has the rototiller out! Can't wait!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Who me?? I sit down at the computer to nurse the baby. :) Unfortunately for me, she has been in a feeding frenzy. LOL I have been cleaning up the backyard. Can't get into too much today-soccer games at 3:30 and 4:00. One tomorrow too. Hope you don't work too hard.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Jazzy knows when she's on to a good thing!! Isn't that what she's supposed to do???? lol!! Nah, it's not worth posting pics yet Chele because they are only about 3 feet high!! Celia, I know that fireblight is a problem but I've never come across it yet!! Mohave is resistant to the disease which is transmitted by honeybees!! This is a good link:-

http://cabarrus.ces.state.nc.us/staff/dgoforth/mgdgworpyrst.html

Well my day has been a little boring but quiet with the builders taking the weekend off thank goodness!! Went shopping but nothing exciting and had a hair cut. Found a good hairdresser at last!!! This was my 11th attempt at another one. I think I'll keep him!! Raining again but I'm definitely not comlaining - we need all we can get because of the drought - it just stops me from working in the garden. But I'm here with you guys, couldn't ask for anything better!! :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I have one, but I'm letting it do what it wants. If I was short on room I might do that, but I like the full look...and many more blooms/berrys. Boy, plants this baby next to your windows if you want to keep out intruders...lol They better bring pruners if they want to sneak in :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.