Japanese Maple 2

RavenBuck and Elena - just to make you green - hope you will forgive :)

Peter.

Thumbnail by Peter63
Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Absolutely gorgeous!! How old is this tree and was it very slow growing??? I want to grow them but concerned about the excessive heat and humidity. Unless I clear some of the trees in my woodland!!

Hello Louisa - yes, I would describe the A.palmatums as slow growing. I think what does well in your area is best determined by what you see in other local gardens. They certainly do well in Northern Europe with our temperate climate so I'm assuming high temps and humidity would not best suit them. They do originate in Japan, but I would imagine the higher alititude and cooler regions.
The one in the pic is in a large garden in Yorkshire and I can only guess between 10 and 15 years.
If you try the A palmatum dissectums, plant them on the fringe of your woodland. Those are the ones with the finely cut leaves that attract most growers.

Peter.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes Peter I thought that perhaps the leaves would burn in full sun!! I do have a local catalogue which lists many palmatum and one of them "Everred" is reported to hold it's colour well. Another one that I might consider is the "Seiryu" with green foliage.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.