Solomon's Seal

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I found one!! Can't believe what I'm finding today in my little heaven!! Don't know quite which one it is, but am researching!! :-)

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Louisa,
I just bought my first Solomon's Seal plant yesterday.
I didn't know that it was considered a wild plant..
I was told it makes a great companion for Hostas in the shade.

Allen, MI(Zone 5a)

They remind me of lily-of-the valleys, I've found 3 varieties growing wild in my gardens so far this year, true solomons seal, starry false solomons seal and false solomons seal...the starry solomons seal is awfully pretty too.....it has white star shaped flowers in a cluster at the ends of the leaves (instead of bell-like flowers hanging below the weed)...

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Starzz you have the cultivated one and yes, they are wonderful companions for shade loving plants!! KB I found lots of wild blueberry bushes, so pretty!!

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

How are the seeds collected from Solomons Seal? I get the little round berrys hanging down, but how do you know when they are ready to be picked? They never seem to dry up, or am I too much in a hurry?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

djm - The seeds should be collected after they mature but before they dry out. Remove the seeds from the fruit and plant them outdoors 1/2 inch deep. Leave them out for the winter. They'll germinate in the spring.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Louisa, I love Solomon's Seal and False Solomon's Seal, too. Have you come across Uvularia (Merry Bells) in your woods or in reference books? It's similar in form, but usually a bit smaller and daintier. Here's a photo of U. sessifolia: http://www.lter.umn.edu/flora/pictures/uvularia-sessilifolia.html

Not trying to tempt you (at last not too much!) but the wildflower co-ops I've done have included all three of these plants, and the prices are around $.40 - $.50 per plant. Just a bit of info in case you want to consider adding some to your collection next spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.