Fiddleheads

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Do other areas collect fiddleheads in the spring? Or is it a New England thang? Soon they'll be selling them on the side of the roads here. If you've never tried them and have an opportunity to - they're yummy. A little melted butter, a dash of vinegar mmm - mmm...

http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/4198.htm

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Ours are up,but I've never tried them,I heard of people around here eating them,never seen them for sale

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I think I have these too!! Great isn't it!! And I still have to identify all the trees yet!! I know we have honeysuckle and blueberries!! Something else is coming up too, almost look like the leaves of tulips!!

Allen, MI(Zone 5a)

I picked some this year, but when I did a search on them, I found that some can be poisonous? So, I didn't even get to try them! I am in the midwest and have never seen or tasted them before...

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Fiddleheads? Are they a type of fern?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Fiddle heads are the unfurled frond of the Ostrich fern. They're picked just as they come up in spring. The season is a little passed here but I think further north they are still picking them.

Kblueberry - the way we indentify them is the stem. The stem is smooth and has a distinct groove. In fact, if you look at the cross section of the stem it would look like a little horseshoe. There are similar ferns but none that have this over pronounced groove.

I'm surprised that they aren't collected in more areas. I know the Ostrich fern is quite common.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.