Trumpet Vine

Bridgman, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi all, I've always wanted a trumpet vine and never bought one because of it's notorious reputation as an extensive and rambling rogue and the fact that I haven't much space to accomodate it. However, bowing in to temptation I spotted a really cute specimen at Walmart and it literally begged me to adopt it!
Since I don't want to live with the humiliation of a cute plant outsmarting me and IT becoming much more powerful and ambitious than I, my question is, can I grow this vine in a large pot and thus control it's destiny?
Whether or not I get any replies to this I will go ahead and try this expieriment anyway, BUT if you should read about a poor little old lady in Mich. getting strangled by her trumpet vine gone awry then you may feel bad about not helping me out on this, lol!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Because they are perennial to zone 5 or even colder, I've never heard of growing them in a pot. The vine probably will not bloom for a year or two and if you don't mind cutting an occasional runaway shoot, you can keep it controlled okay. When mine sends up sprouts in the yard, I just mow them off and they don't come up again until the next spring. The hummingbirds do really like the blooms. Good luck with your new baby plant.

Bridgman, MI(Zone 5a)

I guess I'm quite leery about some plants. Last year I planted Spearmint and Chocolate Mint and by the end of summer I had roots growing all over the place. There was extentions of the plant as far as I could dig. My sister suggested I plant them in containers but I thought I was smarter than her and I didn't do it. Bad move.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Purpleice, ever seen the pink version? We call it Dessert trumpet. Got one growing in the corner of the yard & can't wait til it goes over the fence. Regular trumpet vine grows wild down here. :~)

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

My trumpet vine has been in the ground for about 11 years now...gets prettier every year..the sprouts that pop up here and there are easily dug and re-started for friends (or enemies, if you consider the plant a pest). Its really not THAT invasive....

Bridgman, MI(Zone 5a)

Thank's to everyone for your help and input! I have decided to plant her in the ground and let her go free because potted she looks sad, :( and it just doesn't seem natural. I love the advice I get from all of you and it's GREATLY appreciated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.