Check our Red Hydrangea

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

and others!! Love the pink!! This is the Gardens Alive nursery. Some fantastic bargains but small plants but if you buy three...well, need I say more. I'm looking into this and like the fact that you can order by phone.

http://www.gardensalive.com/item_display.asp?ProductNumber=53090&BTP=special_display.asp?SC=S

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's the link to others:-

http://www.gardensalive.com/article_display.asp

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

What a great bargain, Louisa.
Wish I could get them that cheap :-(

All the best

Wintermoor

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Winter, you can get some marvellous bargains over here. When I compare prices to those back home I'm gob smacked...hee-hee!!

I sent a reply, and it somehow got lost in cyber-space, so here goes again:

The prices here in Germany are not as bad as those in the UK. The last Hvdrangeas I bought cost about $7.50 each, but they were good going plants, each with 5 blooms.
SWMBO loves them, "But only the blue ones".... Oh great, so I bought special earth for them, and hammered 'Hortensia Blau' into them once a week, now they're starting to bloom..... PINK !!
*BLAST* Ungrateful little blighters, I'll just have to send the bounders back to Siam where they came from.
Ehm...another tea Major??

Pip Pip

Wintermoor

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

7.50 is a good price? Ouch! We get them at the drug store or supermarket in the spring for 3.95! and they are in 1 gallon pots and very healthy. Guess I better wuit thinking that is too much to pay for something I can cut a stick off from almost any yard around and plant! The Mopheads do so well here that they are everywhere! In fact I have seen them used as summer hedges quite a bit!

Yes $7.50 is a good price here, I've seen them in Glasgow for nearly $15, for a plant which was neither so healthy, nor so big.
I just got a delivery yesterday of 18 fuchsias, they were only 22 Euro. That's not a bad price, when you consider that that included postage, and packaging. I think they would have been a bit more expensive in the UK. They would have been even cheaper if I had gone to the garden centre, but I decided to get them per catalogue, as there were a couple of plants in there which I can't buy directly at the centre, since they come from Holland.
I know that there are many price differences from country to country, but I think the UK is one of the most expensive, although saying that, I don't know what the prices in Scandinavia are like.

All the best

Wintermoor

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 27th 12:58 PM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Zany if you buy three they work out at $3.19 each!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

That is a good price for them but how musch is shipping? I noticex they have a red one in the meridian in town just after you get off the freeway....may have to help them out and trim it for them...

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Do you think you need help with the trimming!!! :-) Pebble told me that if you order under $20 worth of plants the shipping is free!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, I could use a look out! It's a small town with an active police department!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I've never been to the west coast. Would love to visit there one day. I'm pulled in all directions lately, England, Germany and Chicago...cats, garden, house.... :-)

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Louisa, I had a coupon for that special.....
The plants that I got were in fab shape, good size etc.
they were hellebourous - 3 for 3 soemthing, I ended up ordering 9. and a clematis. they were really decent size plants.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Pebble I'm still procrastinating!!! So much going on here, I can't think straight!! But you really did get a good deal!!

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Louisa, did you order your red hydrangea???
It really is pretty stunning....

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Never got round to it Pebble. I come here to get away from the strain of the day and relax. Having workmen in the house from morn till night is so disruptive. So anything else that needs my attention just falls by the wayside!! Other things are piling up that need attending to but I guess they can wait a little while longer!!

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Ooohh Louisa, those workers will drive you batty...
Just try to relax.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm trying but it's hard. The whole house has been turned upside down and it was worse today. I have wooden floors in most rooms and some of them were damaged and had to be replaced. You wouldn't believe the acrid stench when the saw got going and the dust...!! I had to go outside - the poor cats!!

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

Louisa,
I just wanted to Thank You for Posting this!! I purchased 3 of these from Spring Hill Nursery last Spring, along with, 3 Nikko Blue, 3 Sister Teresa's and 3 pink one's. I have all the pink's planted in one bed in the very front of my house, and then, I planted the Red, white, and Nikko Blue in the other beds. I guess you could call them my Patriotic Flower Beds!! I lost the magazine where I got them from and couldn't find a true Red Hydrangea anywhere. So I was beginning to wonder if there really was a true red and that I may have read it wrong or something! All of the one's I found were more of a Dark pink or Fuscia color!! I haven't had them bloom yet, and they may not this year, but I am gonna try everything I can to get the soil right to have the correct colors! I did the hydrangeas, becuz my Builder had Planted Holly, before we found our house and I personally hate Holly. I replaced all of the Holly with Hydrangea's. In a few years, I am hoping they will be Gorgeous!! Thanks again for the pic and the info. You helped this DG'er tremendously! I might go ahead and get a few from this nursery above!! I would love a bed of just red!!

Well, Good Luck with yours, and Thanks again!!!
Traci S

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Traci you are having a great start to the growing season!!! I love your enthusiasm and wish you well!!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I DID IT! I went into town today and stopped and got a nice healthy cutting from the red Hydrangea! Didn't even have to worry about the policeman on the corner at the time...He walked over with me and cut a piece of for me! He even wet some papertowels to keep ot happy on the way home! It seems he works 3 days as a cop and 2 days as a city gardener! Is that cool or what?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

lol Zany - what a lovely story!!! And what a cop!!!!! Now you baby that little cutting and keep it in the shade until it takes root!! :-)

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Sometimes it is amazing how bold I can be! DH sat in the car and hid his face while I talked to the man! My extreme shyness tends to embarrass him for some reason!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hee-hee!! Love of plants has no shame!!! My DH does exactly the same - he thinks it's just English women who are brazen!! :-)

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I have a few Merrit Supreme and a cardnial red I got last fall. They sure are slow to get leaves. very slow. I hope they are okay.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

mings I think the cold spring and sometimes heavy freezes stalled out the growing process. After the freeze, the new growth died and all emerging buds were damaged. It's good that this shrub is so hardy. When all seems to be lost it sends new growth from the soil!! Our temps dipped to 40 last night - cold for this time of the year!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Leaves on some of my hydrangea are almost not even worth mentioning... cept for the fact that I know its alive! its been chilly here also. mabe another month or so. guess I am too anxious.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

two of my hydrangeas also lost there buds and stems from early heat spell and then freezing temps. the red varigated and the amethyst. my others that i bought from plant ranch are doing wonderfully. i won't know the colors until they bloom, either white, pink or blue, but that's ok. i like all hydrangeas. i need to purchase some more. plant ranch is $4 or $5 a plant for a 12-15" plant, very healthy. cut back for shipping. but as i said, no color choice. but they are doing better than the ones i bought that were larger and $16-$19 dollars a plant.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Most of the time small is best when buying new plants because energy is channeled into the roots. Better roots, better shrubs and they transplant without much difficulty!! We are in for a freeze tonight, so here we go again!! :-(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.