Need Snake Venom Site

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

Does anyone know of a site that tells you how deadly a type of snake's venom is? We just found a 2'-3' copperhead in our garden this afternoon. The pup wasn't bit, but we think he must have walked nearby it, (as well as DH), several times while DH was mowing around our garden. Thanks in advance. Carol

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Fainting in a heap!!! Carol remember we have a date so keep those nasty things at bay!! Seriously though, it's not funny!! I'm sure I bookmarked a site a while ago. I will hunt it out for you!!

Here they are - found them:-

http://www.wch.sa.gov.au/paedm/clintox/cslavh_svdk.html

http://gaston.ces.state.nc.us/staff/copperhead.htm

http://www.xmission.com/~gastown/herpmed/snbite.htm

This message was edited Friday, Apr 26th 6:36 PM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Carol one more

http://www.pestproducts.com/poisonous_snakes.htm

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Louisa! Somehow DH managed to trap him in a bucket, put a screen on top, covered it with a couple of logs and it managed to escape before he could kill it! He went looking for it, but can't find it in the woods now!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Copperhead is less than a rattle snake, you can survive a copperhead better than getting bitten by a rattle snake. The TWRA man said chances of dying from copperhead are much less, because the venom is less.

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Cala! Since you are a pet lover like me, did he give you any info concerning if a copperhead bit a dog? Misty tried to herd a black snake last year, tosses little grass snakes up in the air like a toy and I don't know what she would do with a poisonous one. Blaze would have stayed by the snake too if DH didn't make him go back to the house. If you have any info it would be gladly appreciated! Thanks again, Carol

Mansfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't know what it would do to a dog, but a friend of ours (ADULT!) spent several days in the hospital, and ended up losing the first joint of his finger from a copperhead bite. They are definitely to be avoided.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Ozark, I agree with that, I have a friend that was bitten as a child and still has a sunken place on her leg where the flesh died. I think the venom kills the flesh.
Mom's dog was bitten with a copperhead and she took it to the vet and he gave her a shot. He advised her to give Benedryl before leaving the house to bring the dog to him. She survived, but had a huge knot on her neck for a long time.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

One of my dachshunds tangled last summer with a rattler. Got it on the snout. Was swollen for some time, but was fine after steroid treatment. Vets in my area don't keep anti-venom any more.

Crossville, TN

Carol, my Bassett hound was bitten ...twice...Just at dusk we heard him YELP...and the next morning he had a very swollen neck. Took him to the vet, who treated him, and kept him for about 5 days. When the farmers near me heard that I had taken him to a vet they about laughed me out of the area! They said to just give them egg white...or something (I forget just what)...and they would be fine. Sure enough! He got bit again, and Carl did what ever it was they told him about...and he WAS fine! They tell me that a black snake is the only snake that can tangle with a copperhead and win!

I'm like Lewis Grizzard...."all snakes are a Copperheaded-water-rattler"!! LOL Jo

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I don't know anything about copperheads, but if all venemous snakes are somewhat the same as the rattlers we have, the amount of venom you get from being bit depends on the snake. If it has recently bitten something else, you won't get as much venom and may not have severe reactions. If the snake hasn't bitten anything recently, you will get more venom and get more severe reactions.

Snake bites from venemous snakes should always be treated as an emergency. You don't know what the snake has been up to recently, you don't know how much venom you received, and if you've never been bitten before you don't know how tolorant your body is to it.

Please don't think I'm being overbearing here. I'm speaking from experience and just trying to pass on what I learned from it.

Please be careful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.