Taming Vinca

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi,
If I put Vinca in pots & a cement block under so the roots can't excape am I safe or do they have a bloom that will reseed? I also want to put some in a window box. I like the trailing they give but don't want it all over my yard.
Sugar

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sugar I assume you are speaking of Vinca major and if so it really is vigorous. I spent a whole year pulling it up in the early days. Now I prefer to grow Vinca minor, not nearly as aggressive and easier to control. In fact, I wish it would grow a little faster!! What you might want to do is to cut off the long trailing stems so that it won't root. As for seeds, not quite sure about that one!! It's a lovely plant - I have the variegated one and is being assigned to a wild area :-)

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

louisa,
I'm sure the ones I were given is major. I have a few seedlings I planted that MAY be minor. It is the heatwave mix.
The variegated one which I presume is major I'll be sure & not let lay on the ground. There is a couple of feet from the boxes to the ground.
Thanks,
Sugar

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Sugar, you need a whip and a chair..that's half the battle! as louisa says..this ground cover is stoloniferous(running undergraound, like strawberries..the idea is prevent the laterals(the lanky runners from touching soil) you have it!!!! Elaine

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I grow it in the ground, around bushes. I have that heavy plastic edging around them. I just run the lawn mower around the edging and get anything that escapes (every week) and it doesn't go under the black plastic edging either. Of course our cold winters (compared to yours) probably help too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.