my MG seeds did not make it... way???

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Can anyone tell me way my MG seeds did not germinate? I soaked them, niked them, soaked again because I did not know that they had to be niked before. they just got mushy and rotten!!! I only had 5 seeds and now they are gone. did I do something wrong with them?

good thig I did not sign up for the contest *LOL* I would have made first prize in NO SHOW!!! hehehe

Carmen

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Maybe they soaked too long? I usually just soak them over night. I have some seeds for Milky Way and a dark blue one with a violet star. I'll send you some if you want to try again.

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

poppysue,
I soaked them 3days. Is that to much?
I would love to try some more. I will send you a e-mail
Carmen

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Uh OH ,maybe thats why mine didn't come up......

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Poppysue, if you have a couple of those seeds left I would love to try those colors :)

Carmen, I didn't soak mine at all.........got one of those jiffy growing things with the lid on it and the seeds sprouted in 3 days. Didn't have many but they all came up quickly :)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Flo - send me your addy! I'll send a bunch so you can have some for your project.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

zame,
I have some blue (dark) also and I can see what else.

(Zone 8a)

zameluzza...when you soak overnite they should swell some and then you know they are ready to plant...if they don't swell then they aren't ready...this just speeds germination a bit!

Most mg seeds don't have to be nicked either with the exception of some yellow ones I bought...they really have a hard seedcoat!

Most of the time I don't soak mine either and they pop up in a few days...

Just try planting them and see what happens or you can soak a few too and compare the difference!

Cheers,
Rebecca

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

Over-soaking will kill 'em dead. As Rebecca said, the realy don't need soaking at all---I have tons of seedlings pop up every year from the ones that fell on the ground last fall. I still have a bunch of 'mixed' seeds for SASE.

(Zone 8a)

MsBatt...it is good to see you out and about! Doing better I hope!

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Only on of my 'Carmen' morning glories sprout (I didn't do anything for the seeds though.. I never soak Ipomoea seeds) and only 2 of my blue star have sprouted. hmm. Anyway Scarlet Star germinated fast and they ahve grown a lot.

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

thanks everyone,
I will try again, when I get some seeds.

will report back *LOL*

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I've never had any trouble, I grow them every year. I don't ever nick them, just soak overnite and put them on damp ground outside, keep them watered and they just go. Like Ms Batt mine often spring up where they droped last year... infact I often have trouble stopping them from sprouting where I don't want them. But I can relate to your problems... I'm having problems with Cup and Saucer (Cobaea Scandens), Indigo Blue Bean Vine (Clitoria Ternatea) and Rhodochiton. I was very sad that none of them germinated, I haven't even found any more Indigo Blue Bean Vine (Clitoria Ternatea) anywhere so I could try again.... I have more Cup and Saucer but I'm not sure I want to try again, I've already failed twice. I may try the Rhodochiton again, if I can find seed.

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 27th 9:51 PM

(Zone 8a)

Crimson... how are you planting the Cup and Saucer? You should only submerge half the seed in soil and they will germinate...

Hope this helps!
Rebecca

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I had trouble with the pea vine, but left the pot in the greenhouse and they are coming up now. It has taken over a month for them to germinate. The cup and saucer all came up, but took about two weeks. I planted them like tiG said, on edge and it worked for me. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to put them completely under soil, so I guess I was lucky, eh?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I've killed a few seeds by soaking too long. Zame, I think you should still enter the contest.

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

Calalily,
well I will consider the contest :-)
but first I have to get some seeds *LOL* I only had 5 seeds from the white MG seeds and all went bad :-(

I talked to my SIL tonight and she asked me if I had any seeds for her, well I would share with her if I had any. poppysue is sending me some to try, and I will share with SIL if there are a few left.

And I will soak them only over night!!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Well if I find any at Home Depot I might just send you some!! Don't feel bad, I killed some moonvines, and they are the easiest to grow!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

imaseedpicker: I didn't file or clip them (the Cup and Saucer) soaked them overnite and planted them halfway in the soil on thier ends with the point end up.... nothing, maybe they'll eventually germinate. It's been 2-3 weeks.

Brugie: Keep me in mind in fall if you get seeds off your Blue Pea vine!

Calalily: I've killed them (Moonvines) too! They went to mush! Hope I do better this year.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I had wonderful luck with cup and saucer -just laid them on their sides = didn't cover and pushed them so they had good soil contact. Sprouted quickly and are about a foot tall - Beginners luck I think!

(Zone 8a)

Crimson...just be patient for I waited and waited for mine to sprout too and they finally did (some sooner than others)...it may be something to do with the temps not being at a certain degree all the time and they need to normalize some...I don't know...

I have some seeds sprouting now that I potted over 2 months ago and some of the same ones have sprouted weeks ago!

Maybe it is just like having babies when they are ready to come they will! LOL

Don't give up yet!
Cheers,
Rebecca

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.