How the Finch Stole Christmas....

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, since I'm here at the screen anyway, I may as well post one more, before DH comes tells me to lay down again. Poo! Anyway, while still in the hard neck brace, I could not turn my head AT ALL. So I devised a way to see what was going on outside the windows behind me, using a mirror. I watched and listened as mamma finch gave loud opinions to red-headed poppa finch as to just what sort of building supplies he brought home. She would reject some and off he'd fly, returning with a different selection. Pretty funny. We called them "trips to Home Depot!" Eventually, the mamma laid these five eggs, and the two parents have taken up residencey in the old Christmas wreath right next to my front door. No amount of comings and goings seemed to discourage her. She now seems quite happy with the nest, and the thistle feeder and bird bath near by. DH says she must be the envy all the other mamma birds! Wonder how long they take to hatch? Now we are avoiding using the front door as much as possible.

Thumbnail by penny4
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

How fun, Penny! I like watching our little neighbors, too. We had a pair of wrens noisily checking out a birdhouse last spring, and even starting a nest, but they decided they didn't like the location and moved on. I sure wish they'd brooded there! We had a pair of house finches build a nest in our hanging basket one year, but she did mind the door opening and closing (main door - couldn't help it) and abandoned the nest after a while. :(

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, Gardenwife, you should see them now! they have hatched and mom and dad are feeding them, so all seems well so far. I posted a couple of pics to the photos forum, if you get a chance. I found not too many folks seem to use the Wildlife forum. Anyway, thanks for looking. I will post more as they grow. Ugly/cute, and only a mother could love them! HA!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

penny what an ingenious way to watch the birds. Now I would never have thought of that and I too was once in a neck brace!!! These wonderful creatures really ask so little but give so much!! As for not many people posting here, well with me it's lack of time and trying to get 10 jobs done - so many forums too!! Now the builders have returned and life is even more hectic plus a new garden....yah-de-yah-de-da!!! I did see something interesting though yesterday evening. I wasn't wearing my glasses at the time so couldn't tell ID a couple of birds but they were darting at a crow and chasing him off. It was amazing. I wonder if he was trying to raid their nest!! Your account of your friends was very entertaining - have you thought of recording your observations in a journal??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.