Rose Seeds

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Hi all, I found some old rose hips still on a Sunsprite rose. When I broke them open there were some large seeds in them. How do I germinate them?
Calalily

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

The Gardener for the township of Scotia showed me his roses started from seed. He planted them in a comercial soiless mix and kept then damp but not soggy in a bright light but no sun window. They actually had flower buds on them before they were large enogh to support the blooms! He said that because of pollination from so many other roses in most areas is likely the plant you grow from seed will more than likely not be the same as the one that grew the hip. Good luck with yours and keep us informed on how you succeed.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Thanks, I will. I found a site about rose seeds that said to start them in the fridge, but these have been out all winter. I'll try some each way and let you know which works better.

Boonville, MO(Zone 5a)

I am trying some myself. I found directions on the net somewhere. Basically it goes:

4 months in a damp paper towel in a plastic bag

6 weeks at 70°

then back in the fridge for spring planting

I am trying this method, however I don't see why letting nature take it's course would not work just fine. Simply plant the hips in the ground and see what pops up. I'm not too worried either about what variety I get. I figure free roses are better than none at all. If I don't care for it (long shot) then I'm sure I can find someone who will.

Let us know your method and how it works please.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.