What can I plant to control erosion??

Lewisville, TX

We have just bought some acreage (zone 8) and it's heavily wooded with a creek winding through it. We've been clearing the creek (dry creek bed in the summer) and removing all the shrubby undergrowth (including poison ivy) in an effort to control chiggers and ticks. The soil there is wonderful stuff - but very soft.

What could I plant there that would be low to the ground (12" or less), but control erosion during spring and fall rains? I'd hate to lose all that great dirt...er...soil!!

I researched and found this site just for you' HTHhttp://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tamuhort.html

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I like ajuga for dry shade. I have some; want some?

Surry, VA(Zone 7b)

In addition to the suggestions above, you may want to consider using some of your native plants - excluding the poison ivy. Many people garden by nature's choices for their area, it is believed it helps erosion - that's why the plants were there in the first place. Your plan sounds wonderful - I hope you will be able to share photos with us soon.

Lewisville, TX

Woodspirit- I hadn't thought of ajuga - I could transplant some from the house we're selling out to our lot. (Thank you for the offer, though!) I always thought ajuga needed a lot of moisture. If it does well in dry shade, then this should be perfect!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

How bout violets?? They're short & spread like crazy.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've been using wild strawberries on some of my hillsides. they set a good root system and throw off lots of runner... and of course, you get strawberries!

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

try crownvetch. pretty little flower, spreads like mad. I use it on my banks.

Lewisville, TX

Thank you for all your help! Since this creekbed runs about 100' through our property, I'll probably try all of them - and see which one works best!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm in zone 9 and I grow all of the following in my dry creek in the shade: I will send a few photos. Iris variegata, Bergenia, Correa (Australian Fuschia), Grasses, (be sure to use pre-emergent), astilbe, some narcissis (check sun requirements, some are better in warm climates), Heuchera, Ferns (some), Artemesia, Daylily, some pines, Cannas (some of these are about 1', Buddleia, lamium, Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' (it comes in a red version too).

The thing that is most important is to water the creek bed the first summer. None of these plants can go a whole summer without water and the first year they need extra TLC. One of the most common errors is to assume that plants can "get established" over less than two years. Take a walk down your dry creek often and while you are enjoying it, make sure that your plants are enjoying it too!

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Just a second picture. If you get violets, be sure that you get the kind that run instead of the pretty annuals. They will be hard to get out once you get them in but they even grow under my walnut tree, are green all year round, and easy, easy, easy. Again, they like water.

Thumbnail by doss
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

doss, that's just beautiful! What you grow in the shade & in a creekbed, we'd be growing in the sun in raised beds! Our base here is gravel, and I often use wild strawberries for erosion control. With all the runners they throw, the keep things pretty tight.

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

Try sweet woodruff, spreads quickly and is beautiful flowering in the spring.
I have it planted under all my trees....

Cam

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Weezengreen's message about gravel makes me grateful for clay. I also grow most of these things in the sun, but I do irrigate and I have been ammending for 30 years and it gets hot here. Plants that are more tolerant of an arid space are pacific Iris, Cotoneaster, Bergenia, and Correa to name a few. If you can get your hands on "Sunset's Western Garden Book", there are sections on shade plants, plants that grow in arid places, and plants that grow under oak trees. Another two good source for ideas - I use these catalogs, but if you don't, they still will give you very good ideas are: Plant Delights Nursery (shade) and High Country Gardens (xeriscaping - that is to say, low water). This is not to persuade you in anyway to make purchases from them. They both have websites.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

doss, arid is generally an unknown factor here! June is generally a dry month, and it gets pretty damp from July on until the season is over in September! LOL! Quite different from most.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What luck to have moisture! I must say that the plants I photographed are only in partial shade. They are on an eastern slope, one under birch and the other under a Japanese Maple. There's shade and then there's shade.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, moisture is good for many of the plants we grow, but it sure makes it difficult to grow some of the plants I would like to. Generally, we can grow plants that are listed for full shade in the sunniest spot in the yard. Rather, it is an issue to find plants that will grow in the full shade here. I grow primula and columbine in full sun on the south side of my house and they are happy as clams. Most bog plants will grow anywhere here.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

OK, here are some deep shade pictures. The first is mother fern, ajuga and begonias under a Japanese Maple. It stands in the shade of a giant Walnut and three redwoods with a gazebo on the west side.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I am so sorry about your poison Ivy. Chiggers and Ticks don't sound so good either. I live two blocks from the "Alameda des las Pulgas" or Avenue of the Fleas. The spaniards named it that when the missionaries came. Well, thank goodness for the new dog flea medicine! Again, dark hole plants: Here is Hosta, Heuchera (I have it in several colors), ferns, different grasses, Princess flower, Mondo Grass, Yesterday, Today and tomorrow, Ligularia, (spotted leopard plant - probably too tender for your area) Begonias - again - . The mondo and Ajuga will really help with erosion control. Another plant, not in this picture is creeping mint. It is moss sized and will not take over like regular mint although it sounds like that wouldn't be such a bad thing for you. It is very tight and will jump paths. Plant it in a rainy season to get it established, then add some really fun things. Blackberry's are another invasive plant here that might be helpful. And Yum! They love the shade. I still vote for narcissus planted tightly. Another great shade plant is Lenten Rose. Again, I don't know if it's too cold for it there.

Thumbnail by doss

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.