Snowhermit
Wingnut
deblynn
dave
Trish
smilin32

This message was edited Wednesday, Apr 17th 6:24 PM

This message was edited Friday, Apr 19th 10:20 AM

We had a photo contest for brugs last year, and I volunteer to setup a nice system just like that for this contest, if you wish for it.

Also I volunteer to be a judge, if you need more. I won't be competing.

dave

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

That's great Dave!! I'm sure Jody will love your post!! Something came to me after I posted earlier Jody. Shouldn't it be most unusual container!!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Dave thats great to both! We would love our own little "etras" place for our contest and would love to have another judge too!

louisa how about most "original container"

Thank you thank you thank you Dave!!!

I guess that means everyone can start entering their pics as soon as they are ready. http://davesgarden.com/contest/2002/container/

We need to have a cut off date for this...

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes jody that's what I meant!! Best original container!! What cut off date where you thinking about? Wow just looked into the hyperlink - kewl!!!!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I don't know louisa. We need to give everyone time, including the folks up north that may have at least a month until their last frost.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, I was thinking about that - later rather than sooner so that the 'Northern' folk's flowers and arrangements can reach their peak!! But no so late that we Southerner's containers are past their peak!! :-)

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Exactly! I'm thinking sometime end of june start of july? Would like to hear comments/concerns from folks both north and south. :)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I think that might do it Jody and I'm sure most folk will agree!!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

I think a later cutoff date would be most fair. Like you said, some of them haven't even had their last frost yet. The "sutheners" can just take a pic when their container(s) are at their peak and submit it earlier than those in the north or hang onto it and submit it nearer the contest cutoff. The actual container(s) don't have to still be pretty at the deadline, right? As long as it was grown this year and they submit a pic of it by the deadline?

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, yeah, I was going to ask ~ were you going to do a "Best Grouping" category as well, Jody? Or is that too much? I'm not partial either way, but I remember someone mentioning it and I was just curious. I think the other categories you have there are good and plenty!

And the page to put this on is great, Dave ~ I was wondering how Jody was gonna' get all those pics to us to judge. I was going to offer to put them in a journal here or on a page off my personal homepage, but that is oh, so much better! Thanks, Dave!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I second Wingnut's later cutoff date. I'm planting now, but at risk since my frost date is May 10. My sister is even further North & she would need until the end of July or mid-August at a minimum. Those members by the lakes have to contend with the lake keeping the temperatures lower than optimal for starting any earlier than May. How do we apply?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

how about end of sept or october even? some may use late blooming plants!

Hamilton, Canada

I agree with the later cut off date. We can't even put plants outdoors until the May 24th weekend. Anyone who is direct sowing won't even have flowers until very late. I think people in the south can post pictures early and those in the north later.

Just my thoughts.
Joydie

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Wingnut et all - you are so right - it doesn't really matter when we post pics does it!! The cut-off date could even be much later - it wouldn't make any difference and seems fair. Another instance where my brain ceased to function!!

Well, the contest link is live and ready to accept entries.

I say we let it go, people can upload pictures whenever they want and as many as they like, and we'll say that it closes on October 1st, unless all the participants agree to close it earlier.

Sounds okay?

dave

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Sounds good Dave!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Sounds great to me, too, Dave ~ was waiting for Jody's input to say (it's your baby, girl!). I think that will be the most fair. This is gonna' be fun!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Oct 1 sounds good! :)

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Oct. 1 is a good date. Now let the fun begin. I can't wait to see everyones containers.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Hard to wait so long, but a very fair date for all that are interested. Good luck & let's have fun!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I better start planting then or I wonder if I really should wait for our last frost date - 18 May!! Surely that threat has passed....or has it!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I have plants that I have been waiting to put out in containers. But. I never do my pots till Mothers day. Which seems So far off. But its just 9 days

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I couldn't look at those plants any longer Mings - so I did a couple of containers and keeping my fingers crossed!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I got frosted this morning! Still a tad early for here! You are way warmer.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Had to bring them into the garage - they are sopping wet!! Our days are warming up but last night dropped to 40!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Is it too late to get in on this one?? Or do you just post what you have before the cut off and so be it??

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Just post whatcha' got, Michele! Go to the "Contests" link on the right side of the screen, in the menu bar over there, and upload what you want to enter. Good luck! I can't wait to see your entry!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I just had to drag all my pots in. Its supposed to get cold tonite., plus off and on till Tuesday! We might get snow!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Mine just got a hammering - wind and torrential rain!! Ah well..........

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

We just got back from lunch. It was sleeting! EW!!! What they call a Wintery mix.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi Mings..how awful! We are all so anxious to get started on our planting. It is cold here too..but today was okay because we had sun most of the day.
I planted 9 containers and baskets today. I have been collecting all the plants for the last ten days ..I hope to enter one or two of them in the shade container category later on when they fill in. I am quite pleased with the plants I chose. Right now I have put them all in the garage for the night..
and will have to just keep an eye on the weather.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I just wrapped mine up in sheets...again!!!! And tossed 7 Heavenly blue pots in the garbage. I think pale yellow to white leaves is a sign that there is no life. :( Everything I started has ended up trashed. GGGGRRRR But. Tomorrow is another day. Supposed to be 80 by the weekend.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I love container planting!! I am new to this site but love it already. Now i have to learn how to use the digital camera my husband bought me 2 Cchristmases ago. I have to find it first! And then howe to get the pictures to this website. Wish me luck this weekend!!!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Welcome Kell....boy! I don't know how you could wait to play with your new camera..I love mine..once you learn how to use it you will be clicking away all the time. Would love to see some of your pics when you post them. Good Luck with your containes and your camera!
Cheers,
Carol

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Carol for the kind words. I am mechanically challenged. I did not use the computer for 2 years after we got it............... and now you cannot get me off!!! I hope I will be taking so many pictures you all will be sick of me and my garden! The computer has opened so many gardening worlds, i had no idea how many different plants are available besides the few at local nuraseries! Just on this site i have seen amazing plants i never knew existed and I always thought i was all that in gardening. Turns out i still have years of learning and trying new plants.............. how exciting!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Welcome to DG, Kell!! Ain't it great?! Your last words reminded me of a quote from Thomas Jefferson that goes someting like: "I may be an old man, but I am yet a young gardener." There is so much out there! It's exciting, huh?

Yep, you're gonna' love that camera! It's a great aid in keeping a journal. It's nice to look back and see what your plants looked like just a few short months ago. Speaking of that, feel free to take a look at my journal to get an idea of what you can do with yours here. Just click on my name and there will be a link to it on that page. In the Dave's Garden forum there's a thread Go_Vols started on how to use your journal, too. It's a bit of a pain to get the hang of it ~ I had to start over once ~ but it's SO easy and HANDY!!! once you do! And don't be shy about asking questions on how to upload pics and other stuff ~ there are lots of helpful people on the Daves Garden forum that can help with that. :-)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Wingnut. I love your journal and your home made planter! I posted my first picture last night (she says proudly). I think I have recovered from it all. I may try a second one tonight. I am sure Ii will look back on my ordeal soon as a "how could I have been so dumb at this picture stuff." It must be true for all of you post pictures so freely it can not be as hard as I made it. Please take a look on the brug forum for it.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

What happens if you take a picture and then later you take a shot of the same pot and it looks better,can you replace the original entry?Or just add it as a new entry?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

good question~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.