started sulfate today

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

It rained all day. then it poured. then . it rained some more. See a pattern here? So, I thought in between the drops....I would start the Al/Sulfate. Should be interesting to see. man inback of me at garden center says wife does it every year. Directions say to add 2 tablespoons to 2 gallons H2O every 2 weeks. Who all has tried this?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

this is part of an article from hydrangea.com.

A good treatment to encourage strong blues would be a solution of 1/4 oz. of aluminum sulphate and 1/4 oz. of sulphate of iron mixed into one gallon of water. Apply up to two gallons in spring and fall. A stronger solution can have a dire effect, so do not exceed recommended dosages. As always, consult the directions on the label before using. More is not, in this case, better. Dried blood is also recommended for making colors more intense. The addition of lime will cause neutral soil to turn more alkaline, thus encouraging pinks and reds.

Hope this helps.
debi z

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

debi_z....the aluminum sulphate is a crystal powder...you are saying 1/4/ounce???? Or cup???? I lost you there.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Mings - just that - 1/4 of an ounce!! Does the powder come with a spoon??

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

nope! no spoon...And the directions on tha bag say 2 tablespoons to 2 gallons of water every 2 weeks. TIll desired blueness.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

You could follow the directions or cut down on the powder. Why not try 1 tablespoon to two gallons and see what happens then go from there!! You could always increase the amount of sulphate if that doesn't produce the desired result. I've never done this myself so may have to look into it a bit more. I think caution is the key here because too much sulphate might have disastrous results.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

the plants don;t even have that many leaves on them yet. I think I will just wait for awhile until I do it again. When I did it the first time. It rained right after that. so. I am sure it got all diluted. I appreciate everyones input. This is my first year growing thhis many of them and I don;t want to kill them off! I had just like 2 before .....I have a good 10 or so now.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

That's a good idea!! Meanwhile I will check into this!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

keep me posted

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.