What can I plant in this?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This is a yard sale find. It's hand painted terra-cotta pottery. As you can see .... the painting is rather busy. What can I plant in it? I need something that will grow upright so it doesn't distract from the pot. I'm thinking a plant that can summer outside and come into the house for the winter. Maybe a succulent? Anyone have any good ideas?? The pot is close to gallon sized.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

A fern would look lovely in that gorgeous, colourful pot!! Hope it has drainage holes!!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

What a find!!! Yes! Foliage would look great! Ferns and English Ivy? Tropicals would kind of look out of place, though. If you want blooms, maybe something yellow &/or white?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Another thought - came to me later :-) An orchid!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

PoppySue: Here's my idea, but it wouldn't be an option for bringing indoors....Touch of Red calendula and bright blue dwarf bachelor buttons. The colors would be spectacular. For a plant to bring inside, you might consider a white geranium.

I have a pot like this, but a different paint job, and I used it for godetia. They drape, but the don't cover the entire pot. Some containers are delightfully hideous, and that's what mine is.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Hmmm - I'm still thinking. The pot does have a drainage hole. I'm afraid it's too big for an orchid - it would cost me a fortune to get one big enough. The color is a little off in the pic. The back of the pot is a torquoise blue. I'm thinking something with blue green foliage - or maybe yellow flowers. I like the fern idea but I think that would hang down and cover the pot up.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

There's always an impatien. They can come indoors. What about some sort of herb..like oregano?

Bonsi!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

What about a big Dracaena or corn plant or something? Those would definately give you some heighth. Maybe a Brug or Dat? Been a rough day. My brain is broken. LOL

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

how bout a mandevilla.....lol....just a thought....they like big pots...can be brought in in the winter and you will have enuff room in there for a mini trellis for the vine to climb.....i only mention this since i would like to get one this year and try it....i have a nice big pot(not quite as big as yours though)that im gonna use for mine....have a happy.....and good luck with whatever you do put in there.......cindy

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Poppysue there are many ferns - the Maidenhair would look just gorgeous and would only enhance the lovely pot although it is a bit fussy. Here's a link to show how many indoor ferns you can grow:-

http://www.hgtv.com/HGTV/project/0,1158,GALA_project_17102,FF.html

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I love the idea of a fern of some sort. I think there is enough color in the pot itself and the texture of a nice fern would really be noticed and not clash with the pot. I believe the would compliment each other great.

Seward, AK

Kaffir Lily or Sanseveria, both can go outside and come in for the winter.

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 13th 9:27 PM

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

OK, Ceeads: Now you've got me heading for Googles again..what the heck are these plants?

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Yeah Wheezie, I was wondering the same thing.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Elana: Here's something on the Kaffir lily:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Kaffir+Lily+&btnG=Google+Search

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Elena: Here's the Sanseveria:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Sanseveria&btnG=Google+Search

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Weezie, you and I just must quit meeting like this!! Ha! Are we the only ones up? This is funny!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I just took a break for dinner, Elena. It's only about 8:30pm my time, so I mingle with the night owls!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for giving me that info. I could't remember the difference in times. I had noticed several times that you were online rather late. Makes sense now. Of course, a lot of us don't sleep too well and are online at all sorts of late hours.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I came very close to ordering a clivia - but I scratched it when my order got too big. How come they're so expensive?? Even the seeds are expensive!

I'm expecting a donkeytail fern in trade. Maybe that would look nice?

Dallas, TX

I would use the new ZZ plants and let it stay inside. If its terra cotta ... it might lose the paint job out side. It sure is wonderful!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sedrick, Poppysue posted this thread three years ago. I wonder what she did with that pot? If she's still 'watching' this thread, maybe she'll tell us!

Dallas, TX

OMG! Thanks Weezin...I got to start watching those dates. LOL
Syl

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

LOL, Syl! I seldom quit watching threads just because someone resurrects them from time to time. I think it's fun! Maybe I'll email poppysue to see what she grew in that pot. I'm curious now!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

LOL - yes... this is an oldie, isn't it?

I'm sorry to say you were right. Syl. The paint flaked off the pot after being outside. I can't even remember what I had in it that first year.... but the pot didn't fair very well. I should have kept it inside.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

OOOOh Sue, that's too bad about the pot. I've also had this thread on my watched list since it was started and was hoping Sue would pop in here. Well Sue, now you know for next time. lol

Donna

Dallas, TX

Sue ...too bad live and learn. btw I just painted a lot of Terra cotta pots for the outside...it can be done ...you just have to use a sealer on them...something that start with a P. I used a red lacquer paint and this stuff that starts with a P. LOL! its an age thing... I cant remember s---! LOL
Sylvia

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, Sue, maybe you should send your pot to Sedrick for renovation!

Dallas, TX

Oh sure...and I might just forget where I got that pot. LOL Funny you mention that... I watch a lot of HGTV and in the last year I have been doing a lot of painting... I am buddy-buddy with the people at Sherwin Williams.;) ...so I have learned a lot ... painted my downstairs living and dining area purple...my furniture is dark brown wood and I accessorised the area in jewel tones...my friends freaked out until they saw which way I was going with it. ...to top it off I painted the fireplace chocolate brown and faux finished it with gold paint...that really freaked them out! ...they love it ... but told me not to paint another darn thing! LOL well I havent painted anything else ...but I did buy four red velvet parson chairs ...now i am looking for a red Sofa and a dining room table befitting my four red velvet chairs. ;) ... and I am not through painting yet...I am taking it outside to my court yard. my raised bed..which is really a retaining wall ... I discovered is coming apart so the contractor is going rebuild it with concrete and stain it the same color purple as the walls inside. ...not to worry Weezins...LOL ...its not one of those harsh purples ... its muted and the paint is flat ... so it does not look like the disco everyone thought it would. lol but awww the drama ...it is so dramatic.
Sylvia
btw the color is called Aubergine Promise;)
Now I will worry about what color plants for ouside...hhmmm ... jewel tones...of course.lol

Dallas, TX

Hey Sue! ...now you can understand why that cachepot caught my eye ... those jewel tones. ;)
Sylvia

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sometimes you just have to go with colors you feel in your heart, and the results are a reflection of your own self. Good work, Sylvia!

Dallas, TX

Thank you Weezy! ...at least I didnt freak you out! lol
btw ...went to Home Depot yesterday. They have these huge terra cotta pots with ornate imprinted trim for just 12.00. I bought four...so you know I am going to be painting, LOL
Sylvia@Work

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Be sure and post some pics, Sylvia!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.