Best quick cover vine?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

This message was edited Sunday, May 5th 1:36 AM

(Zone 8a)

My Sweet autumn clematis is evergreen and blooms around late august and smells wonderful!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

How about Silver Lace Vine??? this one moves like no tomorrow! You can sit down and watch it grow before your eyes! up here we call it the mile-a-minute vine Elaine

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

Both the Sweet Autumn clematis and the Silvr Lace Vine drop their leaves at my house! Try an ivy or Virginia Creeper. Both grow very fast, and I think you can probably find an ivy that will hold its leaves all winter, even in your zone.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Ms Batt is right!! But you could plant the Russian vine because it does grow so fast - at least you will have rapid cover for the more bearable months of the year. Surely in the winter the little boy next door won't be out in the garden much!! How long is the fence?? Have you considered growing conifers??

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Plant the vines now, and also some shrubs like photinia or other fast growing types, then you will have a start when the vines go.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I have lots of Hyacinth bean vine and Moon Vine seeds, also pink Morning Glories, they all grow very fast & I have them on a chain link fence every summer. If you want some, email me.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

This message was edited Sunday, May 5th 1:36 AM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Crimson if you are really going to grow a vine and want it to be permanent then the Russian Vine is the one for you. It's faster than a speeding bullet and as long as you have nothing in the way then it's OK - otherwise it will smother other plants and anything else in it's way. Not for nothing is it called mile a minute vine!! I saw it skirt a wall in one season and it did look spectacular!! Take a look:-

http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1038&pf%5Fid=CL5029A&mscssid=SSFTJJU70XTL8MXF2497S4Q9GF1587G2

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Pueraria lobata? =) Or Humulus lupulus/H.scandens

Hello Evert - I don't think Pueraria is synonymous with Humulus (European Hop). I would be very interested in knowing if there is some botanical connections.
Pueraria is in the Leguminosae and Humulus is in the Cannabidaceae.

Peter.

Peter, I wasn't saying that it is a synonyme... ;)

Please accept my apologies Evert. I was too quick to assume that the you were using the = as an equals sign.

Peter.

That's ok.. ;) The Pueraria was a joke, maybe yoy wouldn't like a kudzu on your yard :}

Hello Evert, thanks for accepting my apology. Whenever I read of someone wanting quick cover I always want to advise Polygonum baldschuanicum but don't because so many people dislike it because of its out of control rampant habit.

If Crimson is looking in - that would be my choice in many situations.

Peter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.