Birds nesting?

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

I found a mourning dove on a nest today in one of our pine trees, and a robin nest on top of the curve of a downspout right under the roof. Most birds hide their nests so well that I don't usually see them (unless I put our hanging baskets early, of course). I'm curious: What nesting birds have you seen so far at your place?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I didn't realize the doves were called 'Mourning" - I honestly thought it was "Morning"!! Wonder why they are so called!! I have seen some nests but way up high in the tall pines!!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

We have redtailed hawks with babies already, I can see their nest waaaay up high in a cottonwood tree. The great horned owls are nesting too but I haven't located the nest. The trees have some big holes in them so I have been watching them but so far haven't seen Ms. Owl come out. Mr. Owl talks to her and I hear her answer but she doesn't come out in the daylight. I am sure the owls have hatched, it was about 5 1/2 weeks ago that Ms. Owl quit roosting next to Mr.

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Louisa, I don't know why they're called 'mourning' either, but I think their 'song' has a mourning sound to it. Maybe that's the reason.

MaryE - it's fun to hear about your bigger birds nesting. I bet it's neat to hear the owls hooting to each other.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmm - I will have to find out about that now!! Got my curiousity going!!

Knoxville, TN

ooooooooo i have babies again,,,,,the bird comes back
every year to a hole in my house on the back porch never could board that little hole up....don't seem right,,,,
and now i hear the baby birds again,,like it's there way of staying it's spring...

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

We have a song sparrow that nests in the green house every year. I always tag the basket she is in so no one will buy it. We keep it watered so the baby birds don't get cooked by the sun. Here at home we have red shouldered hawks, blue birds, chickadees and starlings( I can't toss the nest out, they are great Japanese Beetle eaters). We have wrens too. I had to help a titmouse out of the garage the other day. I used DH's fishing net, it worked great!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Got some BlueBirds nesting ( There are allready eggs in there house ) Wrens are nesting, And a robin has started a nest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.