Question

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

How long does it take for a daylily to bloom once the foliage is up? I have never grown these before, so I'm not sure what to expect. Last year, all I got was foliage, so I moved them to a better spot, amended the soil and fertilized in the fall and again this spring. Am I doomed to have all foliage? Or, does it just take awhile to go from foliage to flower?

They are in part sun/part shade.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Carla
Daylilies bloom at different times of the season depending on the cultivar you have. Some are early, mid, late or inbetween etc.

Occasionally when they are moved they won't bloom that year. They will grow in part shade but will flower better if they get 6 hrs of full sun. The only exception to this is very dark colored flowers, the colors are better in part shade.

If you want some more colors I've got some you can have. :)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

also make sure you don't have the crown covered. they won't bloom if they're just a bit too deep.

Jody,

You are so sweet. I honestly don't even know what colors I have as these didn't bloom last year. I bought them on clearance at Lowe's last year for next to nothing - just thinking I'd try them out. They were so neglected, I was happy just to keep them alive.

I will decline your offer for now only because you may want to bring them as trades to the June gig. You are coming aren't you? (Oh, and I'm planning a May get-together at my house, if you're interested in a road trip again.)

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Carla
You are so gracious to decline due to the round up, but not to worry, I have plenty of them to share.

Yes planning on going to the round-up and will have a car full of plants to bring. Hopefully Ruby42 will be going with me :)

I saw your thread about having a get together and would LOVE to be there but it falls on the day that we here in MD are having a swap. Not to mention all the trips I already have planned for this year, LOL. I will be away more than I will be home I think, heh heh.

Thanks for your help with this, ladies. I'll double check the planting depth, then just wait to see what they do. I'm so impatient. :) I may start begging them to bloom here pretty soon. (hee hee hee)

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

carla, here in NJ the very earliest, the lemon lily, bloom around the end of May. The best show of the orange roadside daylilies is around the 4th of July. The garden hybrids are a little later, and some continue into the fall. I would expect yours to start a couple weeks earlier? Good advice from jody and tiG, they really like to have enough sun, they are not so good in partial shade as we are told. And correct planting depth does matter. But they are easy, and forgiving, so sit back and enjoy the show! John

Thanks, John. That helps, too. I'm gonna sit back and see what happens this year. If they don't flower, I'll probably trade them off. I have 70 or more, too, so that will be a huge bummer.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I am still waiting fior mine not know what color daylilies are that, I planted from seeds. Oh John, I never find any lemon lily yet and that will be fine, I can do without.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.