Fern leaf bleeding heart (Dicentra eximia)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Does anyone know how long it normally takes for these to germinate? I've had some planted since Feb 22, and still nothing. Should I keep them or pitch them? If it's been too long already, I'd like to get rid of them and plant something else.

Joan

How are you trying to germinate them, cold, warm, outside etc? My seed sowing policy for all seeds bar true annuals is keep the pot for at least a year. I've had numerous seeds pop up 8-12 months after sowing and even forgotten pots producing a good crop of healthy seedlings 2 years after sowing. Many seeds can lie dormant for years, if you really want the space and trays/pots throw the soil and Dicentra seeds onto a well tilled patch of soil to give them a chance outside.

It might be that the seeds you have aren't viable but it could also be that the right conditions for germination just haven't come along yet. Dicentra can often take a whole winter to germinate.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thanks Baa. I've had them planted inside and under the growlights. I think I will put them outside and see what happens. If these aren't going to do anything I can use the space under the lights for something else. I hope the seeds are viable, as I was really looking forward to these for an accent plant in my hosta beds.

My pleasure Joan.

It is a beautiful Dicentra isn't it, I hope mine will return this year but it never appears until mid April which is always a bit worrying LOL.

Their germination temp is anywhere between 32-65F so a spell outside my just be the thing to kick start them into action!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

JoanJ: Just noticed this thread, and I had just visited another dicentra thread in which this was discussed. I've had no luck with bleeding heart seed, and I once read that they do not store well and need to be planted when harvested. They certainly are an oily black when they come out of the pod. PoppySue said the seeds need to be kept moist, so it must be true. Perhaps your seeds dried out and were not viable.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Weeze, I'm afraid you may be right about the seeds. I have them outside now, so if they don't do anything, I'll have to do plants next time.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

One year my white bleeding heart threw seed and I had seedlings in the bed. However, the seeds I collected and started indoors didn't germinate. I think they are just something that has to be planted outdoors or divided. Poppysue seems to have a pretty good handle on their needs.

Yes, like all seeds they are better when fresh, however they are dried and sold in packets to be grown from seed. It's not impossible to get a plant from dried seeds they just don't germinate as well as fresh.

Do you know if they are home collected or have they been given to you from a shop packet?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Well, I got them in a trade, and they were in a homemade packet, so I assume they were home collected, but I'm not sure.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You're probably right, Baa. Perhaps if treated or vacuum packed, etc. Personally, I've never seen dicentra seed for sale in the catalogs over here.

WG

It's not a genus often offered from seed to be honest. To my knowledge, Chilterns and Plants of Distinction (UK) are offering Dicentra this year, only Chilterns are offering D eximia. They seeds Joan has could be home collected so I guess it's a case of who knows!

I personally haven't grown D eximia from seed, (it is emerging by the way), neither this not the D spectabilis ever self sow in my garden but that's not a huge surprise LOL.

Joan, let us know how you get on please :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.