Hollyhocks HELP PLEASE!!!

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this from my hollyhock leaves, and even tell me what it is?

Thank You

All the best

Wintermoor

Thumbnail by Wintermoor
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Wintermoor, I can't tell for sure from the photos, but it looks like hollyhock rust, which is a commom malady of these plants. I use a preventative spray with neem in it for this. It works great as long as I remember to spray first thing in spring and again 2 weeks later. Another spray that should help would be Daconil(or anything with chlorothalonil as the active ingredient) sprayed at 2 week intervals. Once you get it, nothing will rid the affected leaves of the spots, but spraying will prevent it's spreading.
It also looked like you might have a bit of scale on the stems, but it could just be the photo.

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Thanx Calalily,

I'll try the neem stuff post haste :-)

All the best

Wintermoor

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Wintermoor,

i once had that problem on the alcea i grow on my yard. i cut off the infected leaves. bag them and throw them in the trash... i cut them off to prevent further damage on the other parts of the plants. here's a url that may shed some more info ... http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA/PLANTS/demogardens/alcea.htm , hope that help alleviate the problem/s... ma vie

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Forgot to mention that MaVie, good idea. Don't forget to disinfect the clippers when you are finished so you don't spread it to healthy plants.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Cala :D,

i cut the leaves off with a blade, whenever i encounter problems like that. discard the blade with the leaves into the trash... to avoid spreading the disease elsewhere. blades are much cheaper to use, other plants are safe & secured.

otherwise, i wash the pruner with bleach and Palmolive soap, then rinse properly. spray some alcohol on the pruner & dried thoroughly.

did u know... that Palmolive soap is the only soap that has a wetting solution to break down water's viscosity? works like a charmall the time!

better to be safe than sorry :D!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.