Epsom salts for hydrangea?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Read an article that you can put Epsom Salts around your hydrangea? Ever hear of that?

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

No, but knew it help kill the grass what my father used to do that but not sure will be good for Hydrangea and hope not hurt em so, I wait for other what they think about this so you will know what make sure ok or not.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

mingsmimi - this is a very good site dealing with most questions. Scroll down past the different hydrangeas till you get to the advice. Hope it answers your question. Redrose, hope the grass returned eventually :-)

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

hum~~ totally lost me there ...advise/ how about another hint. I am teachable. How about a date when writen? or a name? or a title?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

lololol - It's my age ya know!! Here you are:-

http://www.kennedyscountrygardens.com/hydrangeas.htm

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

louisa...Nice site! I think this weekend or this week,,,I will get some Al.Sufate. I planted 2 Blue wave lacecap in the front...Want to try it on them..The lady across the street got some too. I wont tell HER what I did and see if there is a difference! lol...sneekie huh???

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I like sneekie!! Sometimes :-)

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

lolol! it can be fun! She has better soil than I do. I have to get all the help I can get! =:)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I remember reading on another site before I ever came to DG, about this man whose neighbour copied everything he did and I mean everything. He was getting pretty fed up with the imitation although imitation is supposed to be a kind of flattery, and so to baffle her he bought some exotic fake plant from the craft store - I think it was a climber - and 'planted' it on one of his trees. He said this neighbour would look and look and obviously couldn't identify what it was. He used to peek at her and she would be unaware of him of course but it was obvious that she was extremely agitated!!!....lololol!!!! Poor woman, I guess she knew little of plants and was using him as her guide!!!

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

Jerry Baker from PBS has a site and he uses Epsom salt in a lot of his tips. I think it is WWW.Jerrybaker.com, or go to PBS.org and find him on there as well.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Epsom salts used to be used in the old days when nothing else was available but it still does not supply all the necessary nutrients on it's own. I'm not against it but feel it's just not enough!!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Magnesium Sulfate does't do the trick..what it does do..is .allows the nutrients, trace elements, and others to be absorbed by the root network, to create basal growth in the shrubs..particularly, Roses! Elaine

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I use the Epsom salts..For about 25 years now, mostly on roses, peppers,tomatoes and yes the Hydrangeas..My Grandmother always used it and had gorgeous plants.. She taught me this and I will always use them, lol..For the Hydrangeas, it intensifies the color..
Larkie

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Larkie. Is there a formula ou would be willing to share/ or should I just go hunting on the WWW.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

At planting time, and then about every 3-4 weeks, I spread about 2 tablespoons around the base of each plant and water in well.
Larkie

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Mings Mike posted above a link to your questions!! :-)

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I have never know Jerry Baker to come right out and tell you anything with out BUYING his book first. Will haveto go see. But. I doubt it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.