Tree mallow help requested

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

I have Varigated Tree Mallow seeds that were generously given to me. I can't get any of them to germinate. Can anyone help? I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I tried stratifaction and the paper towel method.

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

Thanks MaVie... I'll try stratification again.. Maybe I just used a few bad seeds the first time.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I find the germination of some mallows to be sporadic - or the germination rate is low. Gwydion - try winter sowing some outside. It might be that it needs fluctuating temps between day & night.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

u're welcome Gwydion :D.

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

I'll winter sow a few as well PoppySue. We're under 8 inches of snow right now. Freak storm yesterday. But by next week I could get some in the soggy, cold ground. I'm so looking forward to these. I hope at lest one will germinate.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I know I sound repetative here... LOL! ~ But try the coke bottles. Plant them inside your warm cozy house and then stick the bottle outside in the snow where it won't get blown away. I was pleased to get alcea rugosa to germinate that way last year - and they're a tricky member of the mallow family. You can use any type of container that you can punch holes in. Those plastic shoe boxes work well, or the alluminum cake pans with the clear lids work too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.