my first pot

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I've been dying to do this, but was so afraid I'd put the wrong things together. Well, ya gotta start sometime right?
I put a black elephant ear back right, then an asparagus fern on the left a little forward, pink impatien in middle front and a blackie potato vine coming out of the left front (opposite of the black EE) does that sound okay? there's still time to fix it, if I need to.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

You have a shady-oriented containe Tig! that sounds great! being in Georgia, you can do this without too much concern! the textures, I can visualize..lacy, flappy, and batatas! ooh! Elaine

tig
how big is the pot you used? the EE will get big and the potato will make tubers just like a regular sweet potato.
which by the way are ok to eat not as tasty, but ok to eat.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

troy, it's a 7 gallon. I know both will make tubers, but I have other potato vines, so I don't need the potatoes from that one, and to be honest, I'm willing to change out the EE if someone can come up with a better choice. :) so put your thinking cap on!! If the container is big enough, I'm going to leave it. I grew some in a tad smaller container last year.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

tig if the container is going to be placed in the shade then try a small hosta if you feel the EE won't fit the scheme. Begonias also like shade and come in beautiful colours. Some of these trail also!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

tiG, I think the color and texture contrasts sound awesome! Are you going to post a picture? Oh and if that black elephant ear does not work out for you, just mail it to me! LOL

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I would like to see something more vertical or linear in there. Have you thought of something like liriope, maybe even a variegated one?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

would the v. liriope work with the asparagus fern? I will make a pot with the VL, and what else??
I want to make more pots to sit around, so need ideas. I love the a. fern, it's gorgeous, and I have quite a few black potato vines started. I don't have many hostas, so would rather keep them in the ground.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I have liriope and asparagus fern together on a dry pond bank, but not in a pot. I can't think of any reason they wouldn't work, though. Maybe an iris would also work, as long as there's good drainage. It would need feeding in order to bloom in the pot, and then you would have the greenery all summer. The need to cut it back and the fact that it multiplies would mean it wasn't permanent but most things will need to be fussed over a bit more in a pot, I think. I hope you will post photos when you get some of these established.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I will, for y'all to critique! I know that I can learn how to make some really good ones with y'alls help!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I see you have the bug tig :-) Another shade plant is the coleus in many bright colours. Fuschias for shade too, edged with lobelia which trails - my favourites!! You have made a good start with some good choices!!

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, Margaret, I bought coleus seeds last night, and all three you named are so great. I had a great deal of difficulty resisting seeds I have no possibility of using this year. Why on earth did Mother Nature saddle me with such limitations?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

lol Aimee - you should see my collection of seeds and most I can't sow until the new beds are dug. However, I will use the annuals for direct sow. Coleus and geraniums - they were my dad's favourites, inside and outside the house :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.