Hardy Hibiscus

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

This is Turn of the Century

Thumbnail by Hibiscus
Kittanning, PA

Very Pretty!!

I have a ?? for you though.
What is the difference between a Hibiscus and a Rose of Sharon?
TIA,
SYR36

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Beats me!!
Gloria

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Oh my so beautiful never see this one, wish to get one like that, I love it so great color too.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Hibiscus: question, please?

Did you purchase plant or start from seeds?
I have never seen this color before. The one that I have is white with pink center and pink edges around the outside of the white petals. I do have seeds for hibiscus that I traded for last yr. to start this spring.
What is your zone?
Thanks for answering my questions.
Maxine

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Hibiscus,
Will you be offering seeds, cuttings or divisions of this? I would love to add it to my gardens! I only have the pink one and the white one. I will have a large selection of perennials and grasses to offer soon. Let me know if you are interested.
Michele

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks MaVieRose. Good pic of T. of Century, but description of Lady Baltimore and pic did not match. I will post pic of my Lady Baltimore
Gloria

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

u're very welcome Gloria :D. my pleasure.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Maxine: I purchased all three of these plants, I think from Wayside Gardens. They never seem to have any good seeds, they are very small, like pepper, and I have never gotten them to start, don't know if they need stratification, frig-cold treatment, like our winter, before seed will germinate. I have so many orders from last year, as soon as the plants come up, late May or June, I take cuttings and have them potted all summer, they have giant blooms by fall in the pots, then I can send if I have enough to go around.

I do have larger seeds from the red Texas Star Hibiscus, it seems to grow from seeds.

I am in Lima, Ohio zone 5. Whew! Hope I got all of the questions answered.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Very nice hibiscus!! I like this one, too ((o:

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

The Rose of Sharon or Althea is decidus, more of a tree, it is hardy and a fast grower, but in the hibiscus family. The "Hardy Hibiscus" I have all die back in the winter but come back as a bush.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

this is one of my favorites!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Pretty! I would like to have one in my yard lol..

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I love that,I didn't see it at wayside.Is it still available from them?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

The Hibiscus family includes evergreen or deciduous shrubs, trees, perennials and annuals!! Hibiscus mutabilis (Cotton rose, Confederate rose) is an evergreen erect later spreading shrub or tree up to 15 feet high and spread. It's hardy to 41F!! Wish my zone supported this beauty!! The Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is another evergreen shrub to 10 feet or more and hardy to 50F. There are other evergreens in this genus!! The deciduous ones include syriacus "Blue Bird" and "Diana" and usually grow to 10 feet!! Turn of the Century has been classed as a perennial over here but I don't know how it's classified as such. Shrub would be more like it!! Many people also cut back the 'shrubby' Hibiscus when in fact they should be left alone to grow large!! Beautiful flower, beautiful picture and I believe one of the biggest flowers on any hibiscus!!

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Karyn

I'd have to look it up, just where I bought all three of these, it was three years ago, I could be mistaken, might have been Jung's in Wisconsin, will try and see what records I have. I have so many back orders for rooted starts of these, don't know how many I can get rooted this year, but will let you know if I have one for you.

Gloria

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Rose of Sharon is more of a tree. In My zone anyways. I hope mine made it through the winter. I put in about 5 hibiscus and relocated 2 of my rose of sharon,

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Here in central MO the Rose of Sharon is quite hardy. We often have winters with zero temps so I know it survives at least that low. We have about 4 or 5 cultivars of it in our yard.
We also have the Disco Belle hardy hibiscus in our yard. They too surive very cold winters. They die back to below the soil line and put up fast growing new shoots in early May. I think we have 4 or 5 cultivars of those too.
Both of these plants are quite hardy here in our area. They are propigated by root division, stem cuttings and seed.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

went to the nursery yesterday where I got mine and theirs look like mine do...a pile of sticks...So, hopefully. My pile of sticks made it through the winter!

Hamilton, Canada

I like to prune my Rose of Sharon into a standard with all the flowering region thick on the top and a single tree like stem. It then allows me to plant underneath them and it creates a micro climate for the plants underneath.

Joydie

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

That's Beautiful!! How did I miss this one?

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I'm so glad to hear the hardy hibiscus die back to the ground! I received some in trade last year and I was afraid they all died :~( Will now wait impatiently for some green sprouts ;~) I too would love to know where you purchased this hibiscus, it has a spot in my garden if I can find it. LOL.

Lana

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Mingsmimi it will come to life soon. Mine is beginning to leaf out now :-)

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

It was Wayside Gardens for $8.95, still same price after 3 yrs. I will start as many of these as I can, if it comes up,when? We had a mild winter, so should be coming up shortly. They are easy to root, big blooms on them in pots, by fall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.