ginko seeds

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

i received these in trade. how do i germinate them?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

First they will need a cold treatment for 8-10 weeks. :)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes - they need cold ... wrap them in a damp paper towel, put in a zip loc baggie and put in the fridge. You can plant them in soil when you take them out or let them sprout first in the baggie.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

A cold treatment is not always necessary.
There are 5 female Ginkgo trees planted in front of the office building where I work and I have collected seed every fall for the last couple of years.

Michael Dirr says that the seed should have 1 to 2 months of warm, moist, stratification so the embryos can mature; then 1 to 2 months of cold, moist stratification.

Last year I never had a chance to give the seeds the cold-treatment since all of the seeds started to germinate during the warm, moist stratification period.

I would put the seeds in a 50/50 mixture of slightly moist peatmoss and perilite, in a ziploc bag, to give them the warm stratification, first. If none of the seeds have started to germinate by the end of the warm stratification period then put the seeds in the fridge for their cold stratification.

Good luck!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Maybe a lot depends on how fresh they are. I would say if they have been stored for several months they may still need the cold. I'm no tree expert, but that is how I sprouted mine a few years ago.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks for tghe info all of you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.