grass seeds problem

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm having no luck with grass seeds. Says to sow on surface, and nothing is happening. help! trying fountain grass, a carex (I have had a couple of sprouts of that)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You may want to put the fountain grass seeds in the fridge for a couple of weeks. They are notorious self seeders. Another thing you might try is putting a piece of glass or plastic on the container. How long have you been waiting?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

well, probably a couple of weeks :) I bought these perennial f. grass seeds, so I am assuming they aren't sterile as I know a lot we get in trades might be.
Unfortunately, I sowed them all, wouldn't you know.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

tiG, fountain grass is not a sterile one. Can't vouch for the Carex, never grown it from seed, but when I researched a bunch of grasses, I know it said you can propogate some from seed. Miscanthus is one that is sometimes iffy, when it does germinate, it may not resemble the parent. I would not give up on the fountain grass until it has been at least a month. Grasses do sometimes take awhile. I have the fountain grass and black flowered fountain grass and I grew both from seed a few years ago. Be patient. LOL

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks!! There is one fountain grass that's supposedly sterile, but this lady grew hers from seed. I put the cell packs in a big baggie this morning.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I know the purple one is sterile an I think a red one too, believe those are setaceum and rubrum (don't don't have a book in front of me). If you just have regular old fountain grass, which is Pennisetum alopecuroides, you should be fine. Make sure you give them some fresh air each day or you risk them molding. If all else fails, let me know and I will send you seeds I collected this past fall or some plants when they come up. :)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks so much Michele, these are planned to be a big part of one of my new beds. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.