Wednesday 28th March

Good morning all

I wish I could spend more time on the puter when everyone else was on line, but sadly it looks as tho I'll have to carry on like this for a good while yet sort of posting first 'cos you guys in the US are all in bed and then catching up the next day 'cos I can't get on line in the afternoon or evening. Sigh.
Anyway Hi notMartha - (Dori ?) - welcome, this is a very gentle and laid back forum with some nice people in it who make you feel very at home quickly.
Janice - how do you cope with all those animals ? With one dog and the kids I struggle at times. The cat with the tail missing I guess you can tell everyone is a pedigree Manx cat :)
Hey Alan good to hear from you again - what's that medication you're taking, it sounds like the sort of medicine I could do with if it makes you feel woozy AND drunk (!!!) - is it on prescription or will I be able to buy it from a chemist ?
Diane - glad yr fences are finished. I wish that I could get a 20 yr guarantee for my body - it feels that I need it today ! Yes the snooker ball throwing tlot was one of mine having a tantrum at one of his brothers - missed the sibling and went thru the window, one of those REAAAALLY big windows that they don't put in much nowadays - anyway the insurance covered it and the glazier told me that the old window had been a death-trap so I was glad it had happened in the long run (after having all sorts of nightmares about what could have happened if the frame or pane had shattered with one of the boys next to it or under it outside).
I went outside this morning to check on my seedlings and a whole new bunch have started so they obviously think it's spring at last. The rocket's living up to it's name and even the asparagus is going crazy, in fact it's looking a bit leggy so I've increased it's light in the frame. I haven't seen any action from any potatoes yet but it's early and the ground's still very cold even tho it's not frozen. I had a really cruddy night last night so I was really pleased to get out into the fresh air once the house had emptied. Took the dog for a long walk thru all the mud in Yorkshire and then potterd for a while in the garden trying to calm myself and now I'm talking to some of my favourite people so guess life isn't too bad really. Most of the time I really appreciate being female but there are times like now when the emotional floodgates open that I'd do anything to be a logical somewhat colder male. Ah well..... no more griping, I'm off now and hopefully will catch you all later today.

Bi and big hugs

Jo

Morning Jo, hows the cough ?, the rocket you are talking about, is that ligularia ?, i have that one, and its not doing a thing yet, my Rheum Palmatum is starting to bud up though, as are the peaonys, but its still slow out there, and its been raining here for the last 12 hours, most of talk time happens about 12-2 am our time, thats when most of the US has had there tea and settleing down for evening, but with kids its late for you, even if you had come in last night because of being restless you would have dipped out, it was so very slow last night, i think everyone just gave up on it, dont you have a man around, and before the rest of you start, its a genuine question, this lot are matchmakers here, you have never said, and how many and how old are your kids, its time to spill the beans you have been here long enough now lol.

Good morning Jo and AJ
Its cold here too. Supposed to only get into the mid 40s today. Still have a little snow on the ground from a couple of days ago, had a couple inches. Whats the time difference between NY and UK?
Having all these animals is like having a full time job. But have to say I guess its worth it because I still have them.
Kinda glad its chilly out today because I am afraid once it starts getting nice its going to be harder and harder to leave here and go to work ( I work Tu Wed and Th) Not too bad, but it going to start getting busy now that the warm weather is coming( I groom dogs)
Well have a warm day. See ya later
Janice

Hi Alan - what cough ? Hangover, that's accurate recently, too much paaaarty party I'm afraid.
Well actually I decided to say to hell with worries after quite a long time of grief after grief and being only veeeeeeeeeeery young (no,really I think Boyzone are ancient!) - Big smile.
Ah the kids : well they're all boys, the eldest lives in New Zealand and the youngest is 9 and they each have 4 brothers : no they don't have different fathers which is the automatic assumption whenever you say you live alone with yr kids and no I don't take any state handouts and I work although there are times I think I must be mad to do so 'cos I see people on the dole who have more than one car and satellite TV etc etc and I have none of that although I do OK I guess.
I generally don't like to talk about me and personal stuff 'cos like this morning I had a rant on GP and spent the last 45 mins weeping buckets and feeling sorry for myself, most un Jo-like ! I'm very English in that, I keep myself to myself and don't volunteer info if I can help it. I probably wouldn't have said this much had it not been for the image of Ernie Wise's legs in Cambs. making me giggle :)

Anyway I have a hippy background and hold that people are the most important resource and that one should set examples for youth in order to improve the future even tho that takes a long time and I love sci fi and rock music and dancing and I don't smoke but I like wine a LOT and I consider myself a wine snob in some ways and I lived abroad for a dozen years travelling and skiing and working as a teacher for which I'm qualified with an MA in languages and I'm not fat (yet) and 5.9 tall and have green eyes and what else.....?

Oh gosh that's more than 've told anyone for probably years so I'm gonna shut up now about me. I read the thread where you all described yourselves and I can see you as a bit of a hunk Alan (hmmm ? c'mon be honest) and I suppose if I've been flirting with Olivier recently I have to forgive you for flirting last month, although being the naturally jealous type that's not easy.

OK yr turn

Jo

Hi Jo, i was asking if you have managed to cough out the city yet ? after your visit last week, i can apprieciated you wanting to be selective about your personal details, and no one will blame you for it.

I dont smoke, i did, but kicked it 5 years ago, i dont drink, except on socail occations and only small amounts then, i hate wine, i got platerd on it in 1988, and lost six hours, now even the smell of it makes me feel bad, oh, so you got a laugh out of my legs did you, well its not far from the truth, but they are not so hairy, and as for being a hunk, no, sorry thats not me, when it comes to a catch, i am always thrown back in, and at 5' 9", you tower above me, at 5' 8", and a teacher, well, my spelling is [deleted], si is my grammer, but i dont care (to old), so i cant even match your education, i wonderd why you kept comeing out with these big words i have never heard before, i thought you were one of these people who read a dictionary every night, lol, so the only thing we have in common, we both like gardening, and we are both the same species, and i have to rely on the state, and it is p*****g me off big time right now.

Hi Janice, welcome.

Alan.

Oh Alan we have a lot more in common than that, what about a sense of humour ? That counts for a lot more for me than most things - also, what's an inch between friends (careful now) ?

Hi Janice, it's warming here now I guess by the feel of it around 50 degs and the sun's JUST trying to break through now. NY time I guess it's around 8.20 now and here it's 2.20 pm because we put the clocks forward for the summer (British Summer Time). Grooming dogs sounds fun : I suppose that it's the same everywhere tho once you start doing something for a living then some of the fun of it is taken out (?)

Hey Alan just thought, what do you mean big words? Sorry if that's what comes across I just try to write the way talk is all (except when I'm angry when you wouldn't recognise me 'cos the cockney in my soul comes out and I can get very profane and drop all the 'H' s and so on. Difficult to lose yr background I guess

JO

Jo, i bet your tongue can be razor sharp with that cockny too, and i shall resist all temptation to answer the first question,:-), got to go, see you later.

Oh rats, I thought I might tempt you into an indiscretion too ! Any way cockney doesn't mean sharp, we're warm and giving folk as a rule, that's why I like Yorkshire so much, the people are so genuine.
It's coming up to leaving for the school run so I'll be going soon too - hi to all the others who'll be logging on later, sorry I can't normally get on line at the same time as you all (should that be y'all ?) :)
But I do enjoy reading all you post so please do continue later so I can catch up tomorrow morning.

Bi for now

Jo

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Hello again,
I got some good chuckles this morning while reading the above post. =]
In my highschool days I drank a lil to much CHEAP wine-I too cant even stand the smell now. I couldnt even drink the champane at my own wedding. If I was to drink it would have to be liquor-mixed. Yummy drinks like "sex on the beach" or mudslides. I dont smoke quit that 22yrs ago when I got pregnant with my first of 5 BOYS-ages 22,17,15,7 and 4! 2nd husband and I have the last 2 boys together-3 from my first husband-passed 1 1/2yrs. My 2 teenage boys are wrestlers in highschool(we all wrestle@home)and I stay very involved in their life-like it or not! I'm a stay at home mom-I luv gardening and would call myself a plant addict.
My name is Dori-I was in a notmartha stewart mood when I signed on at daves last fall.(sense of humor-yes) Theres a pic of me somewhere in the photo forum...Im only 5'1" and size 3, but I can hold my own with the boys and I can haul a mean wheelbarrel full of anything! ;] We live on my hubbies centinnial farm 140 acres(6is ours)my inlaws are on the property 1/4 mile down the road. Its flat farm land with about a 5acre woods in the middle of the field. Lots of wind since all the farmers cut down there woods for farm land. We have 2 dogs n 2 cats....my finches died last yr.=[
I have been adding gardens ever since I got here 10yrs ago.
Hubby comes home to find something else tilled up-he should have never taught me how to run all the equipment here-last year I learned how to run the backhoe-can you say POND!
I collect many things-dolls,plates,NASCAR,beanies(stopped that)and PLANTS. My first plate was Thomas Kinkades garden cottages in England-chandlers cottage-I ended up with the whole series-the homes and gardens depicted in these plates are beautiful...maybe someday I will get to journey there!
Im really glad I decided to join in here-your not a bunch of snobs-joking joking! ;] I will try to pop in from time to time. GLAD to meet all of you! Hope you dont mind me rambling on!
have a great evening or day,
dori

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow! Guess I missed the party!!! You there Patty, it's a lovely morning, except a call from the builder has already spoilt my day! How's your cold? If I know anything about colds is that they invariably have to get worse before they get better. My guess is that you are probably feeling quite bad today and I'm real sorry.

Jo, i you want to know something just ask me, i'm so thick i cant see the clues :), a warm Londoner, well i suppose there must be some, never met one myself though,(cheeky grin), see you tomorrow.

Hello Dori, we are a friendly bunch on here, we like a good laugh, and there are no snobs on this thread, except maybe Jo, with her big words she probebly is a bit of a snob by cockney standards(sorry Jo)so if you can take a ribbing as well as give one, make your self at home.

Louisa, how are you today, wonder whats happened to daisy, she hasnt been in here either ?.

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Patty, glad to see you with us and that you have perked up a bit :-) Alan, you there? Beautiful morning, but I have so much to do today indoors. Will check here from time to time today - just in case I miss something!!! Missing Lisa for sure! Dori - glad you could join us - it's really a chat room here :-). I just had a really good laugh, Pebble sent me a joke - so funny. Will post it on to you later.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

> Will This Be Us Someday? (I received this from Pebble) - Too funny!

Two elderly women were out driving in a large car, neither could hardly see over the dashboard. As they were cruising along, they came to an intersection. The stoplight was red but they just went on through.

The woman in the passenger seat thought to herself "I must be losing it, I could have sworn we just went through a red light.

After a few more minutes they came to another
intersection, the light was red, and again they went right through.

This time, the passenger was almost sure that the light had been red, but was also concerned that she might be seeing
things. She was getting nervous and decided to pay very close attention.

At the next intersection, sure enough, the light was definitely red and they went right through it.
She turned to the other woman and said,
"Mildred! Did you know that you ran through three red lights in a row? You could have killed us."
> > >
Mildred turned to her and said, "Oh S..t! Am I driving?"

This message was edited Wednesday, Mar 28th 2:20 PM

This message was edited Wednesday, Mar 28th 2:22 PM

Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom

Oh Louisa you've made me laugh, thats funny.

Sorry guys but AGAIN I can't chat for long, there's an important footie match on in 15 minutes and promised DH i'd watch it with him, along with a pizza and the rest of a bottle of lush red wine.(i don't plan to watch the pizza & wine if you get my drift!)
Talking of alcohol,I am rather merry as we speek and wish I could chat for longer....I'LL BE BACK!!

This message was edited Wednesday, Mar 28th 1:23 PM

Wigan, Landcashire, United Kingdom

Hiya just logged on, tried to last night,left a message then i could not get in again, so e-mailed Dave, then i went to bed. Dave said it was server error, he was having a few problems but things are OK now. Bernard watching the football match,but i am feeling very tired so might be in bed early tonight cos i have only been going to bed after midnight, not like me as i get up at about 7 am.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

OK Shiela - catch you later!

Wayland, KY(Zone 6a)

Dori, I thought every woman wanted to be Martha. What with running several companies, a TV show, a magazine, a large garden, ability to craft anything, a gourmet cook, able to throw a dinner party for 24 on ten minutes notice, and she even has a flock of chickens. You have to admit this lady is amazing.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Did "anybody" see my joke? :-) I think the only reason Martha Stewart looks so accomplished is because she has a huge workforce. All the laid back attitude she displays is because it's all worked out for her. But I have to admit I do quite admire her. As for her not supporting charity I didn't know that! How ya feeling Patty? Hi Bluejay! Anyone else here?

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Hello everyone!! My computer's a bit sluggish tonight and it's also taking me ages to get onto threads. Still having problems with my fences. The gate that's been put up only has a latch on one side - the rear of it. There's no handle on the front side. Also the gate isn't flush with the fence beside it. I rang up this morning to complain.
I'm slightly disappointed with my new gardener. I;ve a lot of beds that really need a thorough digging andd my lawn needs edging and there's a lavatera that I want out. My gardener is a nice man, but elderly. I think he'll mow the lawn and then gently potter about with the hoe and play with a bit of weeding. It's probably unrealistic to expect him to do any more than that.
I've taken in the disposable camera that I bought - I'd photographed the fence before destroying it. The photos don't show the full extent of the damage done by the cowboy but at least they should show something. I think I'll have to summon up the courage for a court case. This man was scum. I told him the fence was botched and he threatened my Dad and me. He said to my Dad "Are you anxious sir?" and he asked me "Are you frightened?" One of the other men who assisted in the robbery is still working locally - my elderly neighbours didn't believe or didn't want to believe me. My solicitor just wanted me to write it off.

I'm happy to say I've never heard of Martha Stewart. I hate most gardening programmes - they seem to be so bitty, I suppose because they're trying to appeal to everybody, and they end up pleasing nobody.

We used to have the best gardening programme I've ever seen on a minority channel here TG4, and it was made by Ulster TV. It was called How Does Your Garden Grow?, and it was so good I used to come in from the garden at 4 o'clock on a summer afternoon to watch it.

It was a couple of experts who wandered round someone's beautiful garden with the owner, pausing to admire the plants. We got a close-up of the flower, its Latin name, a description of where the owner got it or how they grew it, and in the middle there was the 'technical bit' where one of the experts told us in detail how to propagate or grow some particular plant in the garden. It's not on any more, and we only have those awful garden make-over things.

Anyone else out there watch that one?

PS - We also have one of those room make-over programmes. They did a girl's bedroom the other day. Sloshed blue and yellow and green paint on the walls, stencilled red starfish on a yellow bedspread, spread big pebbles on the bare floor. For storing her clothes, they gave her two wicker baskets on a shelf for her 'jeans and jumpers' and a 2' long stick on string hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the room - Here's your wardrobe, they said. Oh, she said, I didn't notice that. Can't see how she missed it - it had a jumper on a coat hanger on it.

Why are my posts always so long?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Patty - the same with me. I love the old folks. Even now, some of our good friends are much older than us. My dad (at rest for the past 6 years)was the funniest man. He had a great sense of humour and I would only have to look at him and we would both burst out laughing. We had a lot of ESP. He was a marvellous chef and nearly all our phone calls were about food or recipes. I miss him. It's been a fantastic day and did more repotting. Can you believe we might get snow tonight!!! Then by Friday, it's back up there in the 50s.

Louisa, i like it, very funny, is the site still playing up, its a bit sluggish again, anyone home at the moment.

Alan.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

It's OK now Alan. Back to normal for me. How are you this evening?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Back in a moment (or two) :-)

hello louisa, its ok now, it was really slow when i came in 10 minutes ago, how are you tonight, hi Patty, you here too, anyone else ?.

Psst! Some of the people on Gardenweb are nuts, too:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/...

Perhaps we should invite them over here?

This message was edited Wednesday, Mar 28th 6:20 PM

We dont get that here, yet, :).

Not bad Patty, its been a bit wet here though, not to cold today though, but still kept me off the garden, it far to wet to work the soil, how are you feeling tonight patty ?.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Has the page widened up for ya'll? (Get my Yankie talk - good eh!)

Yes it has, i noticed on another thread today that it was wider than the others, why.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Maybe we are taking up too much room - how do I know??? Patty I saw your post after mine regarding 'Daffodil' on the photo forum. I had to laugh and I loved your answer!!

Our weather was very nice this morning (because I was in town shopping), but it poured late this afternoon. Not before I'd inspected the pots in the greenhouse, though, and found lots of nice surprises - things I thought were dead poking through, including some I'd almost written off last year - Physoplexis comosa, Talinum okanoganense (this has never grown higher than 1/4") and a couple of baby Nomocharis. And some of the tadpoles are wriggling around the pond now. Looking forward to trying another delivery of compost on Friday so I can get things potted up. And the Passiflora antioquiensis fruit dangling above my head in the conservatory is growing fast - the last one took five months to ripen!

Quite a good day really.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Actually I still have my very proper English accent, but....my son says I can talk with an American accent very well! I do sometimes, when I'm having a giggle!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey - I can't handle this lefting and righting. I dare not ask Dave for any more 'can you fix this'. I'm sure he has a load of work going on right now.

Mary, i hope i have the same luck as you, i have a load of pots with plants that got chopped in the cold, i know for fact two of my big bananas are dead, even the bulb has gone squashy, i am still waiting to see if my cannas come up, i hope so they were expensive, and they had a good size to them too, living in hope.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.