Hardwood cuttings - Weigela

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Can I take hardwood cuttings of my verigated weigela now? It's still winter here and the shrubs aren't budded out yet. Will this work or should I wait and take softwood cuttings later.

How about my honeysuckle vine? When's the best time to take cuttings from it? Can I do them now?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I don't know about the hardwood cuttings, but my greenwood cuttings worked really well last year. I had tried for two years and just wasn't getting the wood green enough. Still have one out in the familyroom waiting to go to Wisconsin.

Did you get the peppercorns to germinate? I haven't had one come up yet.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks for quick reply! Do you mean greenwood from new growth in the spring?

I didn't plant any pepper corns... Did you put any outside in the cold? Maybe that will help.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Yes, I used the new growth. Pieces about 4-5 inches long. I didn't use rooting compound or anything. Just stuck them in potting soil and put in the shade. They were rooted in about three weeks.

I'm going to go plant some of those peppercorns tomorrow, outside, as we are to be getting a blast of 10 degree weather. Maybe that will be the solution. Thanks.

S.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Brugie - I wrote Chiltern's and asked them about the pepper. If I get a response I'll let you know.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks, that is so nice of you. I wasn't thinking as usual or could have done that. Hope you get a response.

if you are planting Piper nigrum it is a tropical plant (vine). the seed needs to be fresh. it also needs light to germinate and needs to be kept warm and moist

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Troy, Are you saying by needing light that the seeds should not be covered? I had them under soil and on the heat mat, but didn't get anything and it has been a long time. Months!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks MVR, I'm going to try germinating them in the greenhouse when the temps are so HOT I can't even stand being in it. Maybe that will work.

S.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

u're very welcome Brugie!!! hope those url's shed some light on those black pepper mystery. glad to be able to find them as i learned in the procees too!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanx MaVie - I think I'll give the dormant hardwood cuttings a shot. If they don't work I'll try again with greenwood. I should get it right at some point!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

very welcome Poppysue :D!!! my pleasure. good luck!!!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm going to give the hardwood cuttings a try too. Nothing to lose so why not.

Franktown, CO(Zone 5a)

I made some hardwood cuttings this past Oct and left them in the GH over winter with low air temp (50) and they are growing leaves right now. With the green wood, a day makes a big difference. If you try cuttings and see they are wilting, try the next day or next week. The stem has to be just so old to take off well and I have a feel for that. The stems are grown about 5 inches out from the old wood but not flimsy...more ridgid. Hope that helps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.