Pittosporum tobira

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Today in Hki botanical.... what a wonderful odour.. =) At the same time Coelogynes and Dendrobium were flowering, I almost dazed, haha :} I have two little plants I got from my friend, they are growing very well. Hoping to see flowers some day ----

This message was edited Tuesday, Nov 26th 2:31 PM

Thumbnail by Evert
Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

mine's a much smaller plant than this - it flowered young Evert, so you shouldn't have to wait too long
:)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Wish I could grow it here. I did have the tenufolium!! Way back when!!

Yes, mine's in a sheltered porch Louisa. Open to the elements, but facing west. It's just about outgrown it now though, so will have to take some more cuttings in case i lose the main plant.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

It was incredible how quickly this grew Phil and those lovely wavy leaves. It reached about eight feet in 4 years. Was still there when I left home and doing fine!! Have you tried to put the branches in glycerin? They make for a lovely addition to a dried flower arrangement!!

tobira is v different to tenufolium and don't think so hardy. Got it as a cutting from Italy. Wonderful citrus scent and large glossy green leaves. When i identified it after getting it home i was surprised to find it was a pittosporum as it doesn't resemble the ones more commonly on sale here.
Other pittosporums i've tried haven't lasted long.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh yes I know what tobira looks like - more fleshy leaves for a start and very tropical. That's why I can't grow it here in zone 7 - too risky!! But I do love the tenufolium - maybe I can give it a try over here.

do the others have scented flowers too? They've never stayed with me long enough for me to find out :(

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes Phil but the flowers are really tiny!! Take a look!!

http://www.ulstermuseum.org.uk/gardenflora/pittosporuma.htm

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

WOW, red flowers!!! That is so cool! Have never seen such a thing..

One of my books says they're vanilla scented - yum :)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry to hijack your thread Evert - but at least you saw something new huh!! :-) Phil, you should be able to grow it in Kent.

Doesn't seem to like it here. Think it prefers wetter warmer winters. The frost has always got the ones my mother and I have tried, so I don't want to move tobira from the west facing porch. It seems to like it there, but has outgrown it now.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Well I lived in East Anglia - near the Fens. It was cold, frosty, but definitely not wet :-)

Perhaps we were just unlucky then. Will try again - love the foliage, and if it's flowers are scented..........

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

hey Phil - notice the time for me?? Daft aint it!!!

Wow! why are u up so late/early??

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Follow me to chat and I'll tell you!! Evert - sorry!! :-)

Sorry got to go Where's chat anyway - did that last night
It's 930am here and should have started my day ages ago.
Speak to you soon anyway

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

ok - jokes and chat forum. Left a message for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.